Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#71838 by pdmjr
Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:24 am
Hi all - I purchased the ooma a couple of months ago and just plugged it into the back of my action tec modem/router which also went to the apple airport extreme. In the back of that I had a universal devices ISY 99 for home automation. The ISY has the ability to work locally on my network and to work through the internet. I tried to set this up but had no luck and left everything as is until I had more time to deal with this.

That time has come and as I am a pure novice at this I have encountered many problems now with the ooma. The first thing I did was get a static ip from my provider (qwest) so I would not have to deal with changing ip addresses. Next I got a new action tec modem only (no router) but found it still issued ip addresses so after talking with action tec was able to have the ip address pass through the modem, I believe bridge mode is what they called it, onto the airport extreme.

I then did a reboot of the airport extreme and configured it. Everything was great until I tried to put the ooma into the system - no dice. In reading the info here the info says the ooma sends out ip addresses and I did not want that so I called ooma and they basically told me tough luck on helping me configure it. I then went to the forums and read a little and thunderbird was telling a user how to configure for behind the router. Funny thing that the user he was helping was very frustrated with ooma also! I used the set up as he described it and was able to get up and running again.

A couple of questions, If I want to put the ooma between the modem and the router is there a way to turn off the ip addressing so it passes my static ip through to the router? Any problems with this set up? If not as plugged into the back of the router will the ooma broadcasting ip address affect other things on the network? Should I have the router set up a static ip address for the ooma? The ISY will use ports 80 for local and 443 for internet (remote connection). I noticed that the ooma can use port 80 and sometimes 82. I plan on having other things plugged into the network (Direct tv box ip thermostat serial to ip converters alarm systems) so I really need for each thing to not conflict with each other.

Sorry about being so long winded, did not have any other way to explain. Thanks in advance for any help!

Peter
#71839 by murphy
Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:39 am
You can't disable the DHCP server in the Ooma box.
Put the Ooma box behind your router and don't connect anything to it's home port.
It will not respond to ports 80 or 82 unless you put forwarding rules into it to force it to respond.
You can only access the Ooma setup page from the Home port without the special port forwarding in place.
If you have another server running on your network, it's less confusing if you don't do that.
You can give the Ooma box a pseudo static address by creating an address reservation for it in your router using it's MAC address (one higher than the one on the bottom of the Ooma box).
If your router has QOS, give the Ooma MAC address high priority.
#71842 by thunderbird
Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:37 pm
Murphy: "Hit the nail squarely on the head". Do as Murphy says. Leave the Ooma device connected behind the router, and don't connect anything to the Ooma Home port. Assign a static IP address, obtained from your router, in your Ooma device. You can port forward 172.27.35.1 port 80 in your Ooma device so that you can access the Ooma device with out connecting to the Home port. Of coarse you don't use http://172.27.35.1, but use the IP (http:// number) that the router assigned to the Ooma device, when you are accessing the Ooma device, using Internet Explorer, through the Internet Port.
If you need more detail, just ask.
#72085 by pdmjr
Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:35 pm
Thanks all - I am guessing that the ooma box will not send out ip addresses when the home port will not be hooked up to anything. I would like to assign it a static ip address. Do I do this in the router (apple airport extreme or in the ooma or both? Keep in mind I already have ports 80 and 443 assigned to an universal devices ISY-99. I am also a complete novice on doing this!

Thanks
Peter
#72088 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:55 pm
Try This:

Ooma Telo Static IP Address Setup behind (LAN side) of Router

1. Setup a static IP address for your Ooma Telo.
a. Determine either through your router’s manual, or by accessing your router’s display pages with a computer browser and viewing menu items; if your router is capable of assigning a static IP address to a device. My router calls this process “Add DHCP Reservation”. (Or just try it by plugging your Ooma device into one of the unused router ports)
b. If your router can assign static IP addresses; with your Ooma Telo connected to your router, determine by viewing router menus, the following and record:
i. IP address that the router has assigned to the Ooma Telo (Probably look like 192.168.1.199). (You could assign a new open router IP address, but this seems easier).
ii. Subnet mask number (Probably 255.255.255.0)
iii. Router IP address (Probably look like 192.168.1.1)
c. Access your Ooma Telo home port by plugging in a patch (network) cable from the Ooma Telo “home” port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the patch cable, so that a proper connection occurs.
d. Type http://setup.ooma.com in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
e. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
f. Under “Network Settings” go to network connection: select the down arrow with your mouse and select “Static IP Address”.
g. Skip over PPPoE Options, and go to “Static IP Options”.
h. Enter the following:
i. IP Address: enter the IP address that your Router has assigned and you recorded above. (Verify, be very careful and don’t make typos).
ii. Net Mask: add Subnet mask number that you recorded above.
iii. DNS Server 1: enter the router IP address that you recorded above.
iv. DDS Server 2: Do Nothing.
v. Router Address: enter the router IP address that you recorded above from your router.
vi. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
vii. Record the Built in MAC address for use in your router later.
viii. Select the Update button.
i. Go back to your router display pages and input/verify the same information for establishing a static IP address for your Ooma Telo, using the router’s menu items. (My router does this process almost automatically. I locate the Ooma Telo’s Built in MAC address from a list located in my router’s menu items. I enter the name Ooma Telo Modem for the device name, than hit enter, than I save).
j. Do a “cold boot” of the router.
k. After the router cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Ooma Telo.
l. Try it and good luck.