Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#71795 by slckmstr
Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:30 pm
Hello! Been lurking here trying to read up, first post - here goes:

I recently moved to a new location and had ATT DSL Direct 6.0 setup, which is working fine. I wasn't planning on having a home phone, because I haven't had one for years. However, I decided to go ahead and give it a shot since my cell# is from a different area code, and cell reception was spotty in the house. So I was reading up on MagicJack and Ooma, and decided to go Ooma.

Although I do not currently have a home phone with ATT, I put in an order to port the number associated with the DSL line to Ooma, and now I have a scheduled port date of 1/14, so that's good. However, in the order confirmation email it said something that kind of threw me a bit:

"IF YOU HAVE DSL: If your Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Internet connection is associated with the phone number you are trying to port, your DSL service will be cancelled on the day of transfer. Ooma recommends that you do not proceed with transferring your phone number until you have separated your DSL from your phone line (dry-loop DSL)."

Since I started out with "dry-loop" (misnomer?) DSL, is this likely to even be an issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.
#71819 by southsound
Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:11 pm
I'm not sure what you hope to gain by porting a number that is not in use except for billing purposes on your DSL dry loop. I'd cancel the port and get your $40 refunded. All you will end up doing is causing problems for yourself. Porting is normally only a good option when it is done because you have had your old number for a ton of years and you don't want to make your callers learn a new number. Since nobody knows your existing DSL account number besides you and the telephone company, put that $40 towards a nice dinner for you and someone you care about. And welcome to ooma and the forum! :cool:
#72066 by slckmstr
Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:54 am
I essentially want a local and recognized telephone number, which I couldn't seem to get otherwise - when I checked on available numbers in my area code, ooma said nothing was available - perhaps I was looking in the wrong place?
#72072 by ntoy
Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:37 am
slckmstr wrote:I essentially want a local and recognized telephone number, which I couldn't seem to get otherwise - when I checked on available numbers in my area code, ooma said nothing was available - perhaps I was looking in the wrong place?

Hello,

Unfortunately we do not have available numbers in your area. However, I show that we can port your landline number used during registration. Note: A requirement for porting the number is that the number needs to be active during the porting process.
#72814 by ntoy
Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:52 am
slckmstr wrote:So now that this whole process has failed, what are the chances of being able to get a refund on the porting fee?

Hello,

I'm sorry we're not able to port your number. We can refund your porting fee, just give our support folks a call & reference this ticket: LEC-81609