Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#71727 by bak
Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:38 pm
Need to accept collect calls, so best I can tell must use the 'dreaded landline intigration'.
Would this still require land line number porting?
Unsure how all this works.
Currently set up with 1 new ooma number(stand alone)on catv isp, and land line number completely seperate from ooma on seperate phone. Only require 1 number (land line number) and ok to loose ooma number, suspect call to support to accomplish, but how does land line work to receive collect calls if ported to ooma, or if not ported to ooma- how does telo really work in 'landline intigration mode' with land line number and with or with out ooma number. Inquiring minds want to know :?:
Would love to completely get rid of telco, but to receive collect calls looks like must keep at least minimum land line service, ...or is there another option...(middle man to receive collect calls (and collect billing)and forward to ported ooma number)?
#71728 by southsound
Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:49 pm
bak wrote:Need to accept collect calls, so best I can tell must use the 'dreaded landline intigration'.
Would this still require land line number porting?
Unsure how all this works.
Currently set up with 1 new ooma number(stand alone)on catv isp, and land line number completely seperate from ooma on seperate phone. Only require 1 number (land line number) and ok to loose ooma number, suspect call to support to accomplish, but how does land line work to receive collect calls if ported to ooma, or if not ported to ooma- how does telo really work in 'landline intigration mode' with land line number and with or with out ooma number. Inquiring minds want to know :?:
Would love to completely get rid of telco, but to receive collect calls looks like must keep at least minimum land line service, ...or is there another option...(middle man to receive collect calls (and collect billing)and forward to ported ooma number)?

I also have a landline separate from my ooma numbers - and we have even coded our cordless handsets so my wife and I can tell which one to pick up when we make a call. I keep the landline for other reasons - yesterday was one example. At 5:20 AM the power went out. A pole that serves the south end of our island went down - not sure if it was a car or tree, but the result was the same. It took until 9:30 to get partial voltage (109 instead of a nominal 120) and my UPS systems hated it. When the power went down, so did our DSL because Qwest doesn't back up their Internet service. My landline worked flawlessly so I could call the utility, get updates, etc. For me, it is worth the extra to keep it.

Now as to the collect calls. My experience comes from being a recovery pastor and working with our local county jail doing recovery meetings. If these calls are from a person who is incarcerated, contact the facility to see if they have a company that allows you to prepay for calls. Here in Washington, we have one called Vconnect. They charge a flat $3.50 plus tax for a 20 minute call and you can set up any number as a receiving number.

If you need to accept collect calls from a normal phone, consider a low cost 800 service instead. I use one that costs me about a dollar a month and 2.4 cents a minute with no minimums. It does not work with correctional institutions or pay phones, but it does with everything else. Reply or PM if you would like more information.
#71729 by bak
Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:04 pm
Hit nail on the head with this sitituation, thanks for fast relpy

Now as to the collect calls. My experience comes from being a recovery pastor and working with our local county jail doing recovery meetings. If these calls are from a person who is incarcerated, contact the facility to see if they have a company that allows you to prepay for calls. Here in Washington, we have one called Vconnect. They charge a flat $3.50 plus tax for a 20 minute call and you can set up any number as a receiving number.

Still unsure how LL intrigration works, though if I can find PP calling company as above, may not be issue.
#71730 by WayneDsr
Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:10 pm
Your landline is provisioned with your ooma box. You landline number is your ooma number. All calls IN come from your landline. All LOCAL calls OUT also go through your landline. Any outgoing long distance calls go through ooma.

You have to have caller ID on your landline for ooma to see caller ID.
You have to have call forwarding on busy on your landline in order to use the instant second line.

Wayne
#71731 by southsound
Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:12 pm
You can probably call the institution and talk to the person who is in charge of visiting - or there may be a website. Is it city, county or state and which city, county or state - maybe I can research it for you.
#71732 by bak
Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:16 pm
southsound wrote:You can probably call the institution and talk to the person who is in charge of visiting - or there may be a website. Is it city, county or state and which city, county or state - maybe I can research it for you.

web site says collect calls only
http://www.corrections.ky.gov/kciw/
guess I need to contact them and ask
#71733 by bak
Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:21 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Your landline is provisioned with your ooma box. You landline number is your ooma number. All calls IN come from your landline. All LOCAL calls OUT also go through your landline. Any outgoing long distance calls go through ooma.

You have to have caller ID on your landline for ooma to see caller ID.
You have to have call forwarding on busy on your landline in order to use the instant second line.

Wayne

Starting to understand, thanks.
LL has area wide calling and no long distance, long distance currently on seperate carrier that apperently ooma will replace
If thinking correctly should be able to drop area wide calling from telco, and ooma would pick these calls up, keeping LL wide local calls only and call ID on telco
#71738 by southsound
Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:16 pm
bak wrote:web site says collect calls only
http://www.corrections.ky.gov/kciw/
guess I need to contact them and ask

I just did and they told me that calls were made through either Securus or Evercom - both are divisions of Correctional Billing Services. Under General Information tab, Inmate Jail Locations served allows you to search. If the facility is at 3000 Ash Avenue in Pewee Valley, KY, then they are indeed the servicing agency. You can set up an AdvanceConnect prepaid account that will let you use any phone to accept the collect calls. When you fund your account, verify if there are service charges for using a credit card. Vconnect charges an $8 fee but money orders and cashiers checks go 100% to the calling balance. I don't know what CBS does. Also note that the company is changing their name to Securus Correctional Billing - but your account should transfer over without a problem. You can also reach them by calling 800-844-6591.

Of course, I have no affiliation with the above company. I just have a lot of compassion for those who are inside and their families. Here is something you might want to share with her. Please forgive me if you or anyone finds it innapropriate. It was written by an un-named female Native American inmate:

God's Hotel
I checked you in again last night, My child
Cuz it hurt me so bad to see you out there running wild.

All tired and "sucked up" you appeared to me,
But put a mirror in front of you, and you can't even see.

That you number among the walking dead,
Sores all over your body, confusion in your head.

Jail is not the place you want to be,
But it's my "Hotel" where I can work on thee.

You see you weren't just arrested, you were rescued from, yourself
I had to bring you back here, and put your drug use on the shelf.

Give you some rest, some food, and some talk,
Encourage you and love you, before I let you walk.

Don't be like a mule that's led around by the bit,
just listen to my warnings, and I can help you quit.

This could be the last time you have to come to this place,
just listen to me the creator of all, with tears upon my face!!
#71741 by bak
Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:08 pm
[quote="southsoundI just did and they told me that calls were made through either Securus or Evercom - both are divisions of Correctional Billing Services. Under General Information tab, Inmate Jail Locations served allows you to search. If the facility is at 3000 Ash Avenue in Pewee Valley, KY, then they are indeed th[b}]any phone to accept the collect calls[/b]e servicing agency. You can set up an AdvanceConnect prepaid account that will let you use . When you fund your account, verify if there are service charges for using a credit card. Vconnect charges an $8 fee but money orders and cashiers checks go 100% to the calling balance. I don't know what CBS does. Also note that the company is changing their name to Securus Correctional Billing - but your account should transfer over without a problem. You can also reach them by calling 800-844-6591.[quote]

southsound, thanks for your research-over and above. Yes-PeeWee Valley. You state "any phone to accept collect calls" does this mean also ooma? Researched C.B.S. site and prepaid is still collect calls. Have emailed to them and asked if prepaid account would appear to be a collect call to a IP based phone system, pending answer. Also asked if inmates are able to call cell phones, I understand from others that cell phones, at least at one time, were restricted from receiving inmate calls. If so may just use cell for inmate calls and port number and drop telco completely.
#71743 by southsound
Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:45 pm
From our experience with Vconnect, the reason why cell phones were not allowed in the past is that they had no way to pass the charges for the call. You will want to verify with CBS and see what they say. Typically, when an inmate makes a call, it gets diverted to a company like CBS that also may record the calls or at least keep call records for the facility. Since they are the ones handling the call, they can take their share of funds from your prepaid account even if your phone can't - so ooma should work fine. When a call is made through an inmate phone to your number, they have in their database your prepaid balance if any. If it is positive, then they pass the call to your phone and if you accept by pressing the required key, they deduct the funds from your balance. Again, this is from experience with another company, so please verify with CBS to be sure.