Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#69978 by kb7735
Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:51 am
I setup Ooma (basic) with 2 lines (let's call them line A and line B). They work fine.
The primary line (line A) is also my login ID.
Now I wish to port my old phone # (line C).

Question is: if I'm only allowed 2 lines, does line B just go away and leave me with line C (after porting completes) as the 2ndary #?

I'm confused with what will happen after the port, e.g. does line B just drop off the face of the earth (if I'm only allowed 2 #'s as part of the basic service)?

I would like line A to remain primary line (and login ID) and line C to become my secondary, and frankly I don't care if line B disappears. I just want to know what will happen before I request the port.

I also don't care if line C becomes my primary, and line A is secondary, as long as they both ring on my Ooma. But I assume my login ID will still be the # for line A.

Note - I intend to use line A as a new work #, and the ported line C as my original home #.
#69981 by EricJRW
Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:10 am
It is my understanding that 2 lines are a feature of premier, not basic. If you are new to ooma, you get a free 2-month taste of premier, but after that (assuming you opt out) you loose the second line (B).

If you are going to keep premier, and the second line, and all the cool features, then from other posts I have read, the best thing to do is call support and make sure they know which line you want to keep. Maybe it will happen as you desire, but keeping a certain number seems to always involve a call to support (but I'm new too, so I'm sure you will get a more definitive answer).
#69984 by kb7735
Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:50 am
Yea, it's not really clear if you get 2 lines with basic. I canceled my auto-renew for premier, which was due to kick in in 38 days. But I do think I may have a trial of premier at this time.

Under the Phone Number Preferences help, it reads:

Ooma lets you add a second (or more) phone number for your home office or other member of your family. You can choose to have incoming calls ring on all your phones or just on the phones connected to personalized Ooma devices (such as the Ooma Scout).

but doesn't explicitly say "Ooma Premier"

and when I try to add a 3rd line, it reads:

You currently don't have any available personal (virtual) numbers. If you're a Premier subscriber, you can order more personal numbers on the Add-ons page

This leads me to believe I am allowed 2 #'s but not 3.

Then again, when I go to Add-ons, under Premier, it talks about an instant 2nd line and under Personal number, it reads:
Choose a second phone number in almost any calling area in the US

Which also leads me to believe I got the 2nd # only because I had a trial of Premier, and probably will loose line B when my trial is up.

So if I loose line B as a 2ndary because I do my port, do I also loose line A when my trial runs out? Also, wonder what happens to my login ID (currently phone # of line A), will my new login ID become my current line C?

It's all quite confusing.
#69988 by kb7735
Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:26 am
Okay, I called, here's the scoop.

If I do the port and only maintain Ooma basic, line C will become my one and only phone #.

I will loose line A and B (though they will maintain it under my name for 2 months in case I change my mind, after that it goes back into the available pool).

Line C also becomes my login ID.
#70180 by EricJRW
Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:54 am
That's good to know. Thanks.

BTW, I find these two comparison pages very helpful... I found them by accident one day, but they are are buried so well it took me ages to find them again. I now have them bookmarked.

http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/91/kw/ (core means you got in early and don't pay monthly taxes)
http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/90/kw/ (basic means you pay monthly taxes)
Last edited by EricJRW on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
#70203 by EricJRW
Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:22 am
lbmofo wrote:Nice find on the feature comparison.

Thanks

And as I recall the only feature difference between core and basic is caller ID with name. Core users still have the name feature, basic users only get the number (and would need to upgrade to premier to get name display).
#70211 by EricJRW
Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:54 am
lbmofo wrote:Also the voicemail text notification and anonymous call reject.

Thanks... I was going on memory (too lazy to click my own links :? ).
#71201 by devdevil85
Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:16 pm
kb7735 wrote:Okay, I called, here's the scoop.

If I do the port and only maintain Ooma basic, line C will become my one and only phone #.

I will loose line A and B (though they will maintain it under my name for 2 months in case I change my mind, after that it goes back into the available pool).

Line C also becomes my login ID.
Wouldn't you be better off just getting another Hub and port Line B to it versus having a monthly/yearly cost of Premier if all you need is the basic features?