Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#69638 by schnoz
Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:47 pm
I have had my ooma hub connected to my wall outlet so that I can hook any phone up to any outlet in my house. I went outside and disconnected the old line into the house and all that jazz. The system has been working as intended for the last couple weeks. Today at about 4pm for no reason I started getting a off-the-hook tone on any phone that I picked up instead of the friendly jingle with a dial tone I'm used to getting. After a few hours of messing around, I found out that when the ooma hub is connected to the wall outlet, the hub ends up picking up the phone line (ie dial tone) without a phone connected to it and then finally after nothing happens for awhile it turns into an off-the-hook tone. The phone works fine if it is hooked directly to the ooma hub. Any idea what is happening here? Why did it start happening out of the blue after two weeks of working fine?

So to sum it up, as soon as I hook up the ooma hub to the wall, I can hear the friendly jingle on my cordless phone but it won't let me press any buttons and finally goes to an off-the-hook tone, as if the hub picked up the phone line itself. It used to work fine.
#69641 by southsound
Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:08 pm
I doubt if the hub is doing this on its own - I think it may be due to your home's wiring or possibly a bad phone. Your profile doesn't say what part of the country you are in but if it is wet where you live, sometimes moisture can get into the wiring and cause just enough load to do what you describe. You said that, "I went outside and disconnected the old line into the house and all that jazz." Did you also take the time to insulate the wires if you disconnected them? Or put tape over the little modular plug if that is how you disconnected? Moisture can come in pretty easily if it is cold and wet outside. More likely might be a bad phone or even a phone left off-hook in a remote part of the house. I'd do this to check - unplug all of the phones in the house then test with a known good corded phone. Then slowly add back phones until you see if you have a bad one. Let us know what you discover and we can give you some additional troubleshooting tips.