Dropped calls & Dialing not working sometimes

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.

Dropped calls & Dialing not working sometimes

Postby OomaGirl » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:47 pm

I am not using my Ooma much lately, but in the small number of times I've tried to make calls, I often have problems.

The first problem is I'll be talking to my friend (that I dialed) and the call drops. Sometimes with a slight static right before it drops, and sometimes it just drops when he is in the middle of a sentence. I usually wait at least 10 seconds to see if it will come back, but then I hang up, so it's not really a total drop, but I can't hear them. I believe usually they can't hear me.

About 1-4 months ago I was with a different ISP and would have something similar happen, it wouldn't drop but the call would go staticy or quiet but after some seconds, the call would continue like normal, but with me missing a few words or few sentences the other person said. Today when it dropped on my end, my friend didn't know for quite a while, I think his cellphone connection was still going and using up his minutes.

Another problem is when it drops, I try to redial them back. Well, usually I get a dialtone just fine and it dials and then just silence, no ringing. One time I tried like 6 times in the next 4 minutes, then gave up and used my other phone. Plus, it's not only after a call drops. Yesterday I believe I hadn't used my phone all day. Then I wanted to make a quick 2 minute call. Well it would not go through in 3 tries. Gave up and used another phone.

I was reading other threads and I think I should do *98 before placing a call, and see if things improve. But I think that just changes the codec, I probably have other issues here. I also already setup Ooma to use the built-in mac address and I have my router configured for QoS.
OomaGirl

Re: Dropped calls & Dialing not working sometimes

Postby thunderbird » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:34 pm

OomaGirl:
What I was told was that Ooma has been doing some routing changes, which may or may not be causing this issue.

Using the *98 or *96 prefix as a temporary work around for outbound calls, for this issue, is what Ooma is telling people to use.

Using the 20 minute power off Ooma Telo, then repower worked better for me, but was temporary and I had to do it several times.

In all cases, for this type of problem, you must report the problem to Ooma Customer Service. I reported my problem, and after a couple of days my problem seems to have been cleared up.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
thunderbird

Postby OomaGirl » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:10 pm

I emailed support and it was not helpful. They seemed to just copy and paste a list of questions, some of which didn't apply to me, because they talked about Telo when I clearly said I use a Hub. I also do NOT want to put my Hub in front of the router as I just solved my lag problems by moving it. (Lag is not completely gone but it's very acceptable now.) I spent hours learning how to set things up with good QoS. It's clearly not my ISP or my phone handset, they work fine sometimes and I never have had any ISP issues and have uploaded & downloaded for hours and hours with fine speeds. I get Ooma errors at different times of day, many different days.

I hope that phone support is better but I don't want to use my cellphone minutes and would have to make sure I called on a weekend day. I think Ooma has to own up to their network getting overclogged, since there's so many people having problems that are similar. Either quality issues or calls dropping/not going through. (Incoming and/or outgoing).

My issue resembles these:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12651
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12640
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9872
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12596
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12528
Those are recent threads with many other people having similar problems. I'm sure there are many other complaints.
OomaGirl

Postby thunderbird » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:30 am

OomaGirl:
Check and make sure that your Ooma Setup MAC address is set to Use Built-In. This is often helpful for dropped calls.

Next:
For dialing problem, for an Ooma Hub, the only prefix you can use is *99, although some people say that *82 helps also for the Hub.
Expamle: *99-xxx-xxx-xxxx
Note: *99 can cause echo during the phone conversation.

Next:
Make sure that you have you have Enable 10-digit dialing at https://my.ooma.com/system Enabled.

Next:
Don't rule out that your Modem isn't causing at least some of your problems. Find your Modem manual and do a Modem reset. Many Modems contain a battery which must be temporarily removed during the period of time that the Modem reset is being accomplished or the Modem reset will never be fully accomplished.

Next:
They/I can't hear me/them conversations is an individual problem that only Ooma can correct for you. You have to keep after Ooma Customer Support until they make corrections. I would talk to them, but only talk about the They/I can't hear me/them conversations as your problem. If you can get this part of your problems correct, it may correct other problems that you are having also.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Next:
When you can find some time:
Power off the Ooma device for 20 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Repeat this procedue up to there times in a row. That's why I said "when you can find some time".
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
thunderbird

Postby OomaGirl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:35 am

Yes it's using Built-In.

*99 is my main hope but I hope the echo isn't bad. Ok maybe *82 too.

I have enabled 10-digit dialing.

Good point about not hearing.

I did power off the Hub a couple times, once was over 24 hours, but want to power off the router too. And modem as suggested above.
OomaGirl

Postby thunderbird » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:48 am

OomaGirl wrote:Yes it's using Built-In.

*99 is my main hope but I hope the echo isn't bad. Ok maybe *82 too.

I have enabled 10-digit dialing.

Good point about not hearing.

I did power off the Hub a couple times, once was over 24 hours, but want to power off the router too. And modem as suggested above.

The important thing about the 20 minute Ooma Hub power off procedure, is to do it three times in a row.
thunderbird

Postby OomaGirl » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I did the 3 times in a row thing, and so far the dialing problem seems improved. I just hope it lasts, because other users say it works but they have to keep doing it again.
OomaGirl

Postby craftsman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:20 am

I was having some issues with the unit bouncing right to voicemail. I tried what Thunderbird suggested, "Check and make sure that your Ooma Setup MAC address is set to Use Built-In." It has be set to Automatic, but changing it to Built-In seemed to correct the problem.

Thunderbird, can you explain why that helps? Especially since it appeared to be using the same MAC address for both Automatic and Built-In?
craftsman

Postby thunderbird » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:55 pm

craftsman wrote:I was having some issues with the unit bouncing right to voicemail. I tried what Thunderbird suggested, "Check and make sure that your Ooma Setup MAC address is set to Use Built-In." It has be set to Automatic, but changing it to Built-In seemed to correct the problem.

Thunderbird, can you explain why that helps? Especially since it appeared to be using the same MAC address for both Automatic and Built-In?

When the Ooma device Internet port MAC Address setting is set to Automatic, it allows MAC address Spoofing. Under certain condions, the interaction (searching) between, usually the Modem, and the Ooma device can cause momentary disconnects.
thunderbird

Postby djbradster » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:41 pm

I, too have had issues with this problem and today talked with Ooma Tech Support. They focused on the internet connection, which I thought was fine. Turns out after doing a test at pingtest.net, my jitter rate was 22ms...too high for ooma. I called my ISP and they upped my signal to bring my jitter down to 10. Internet seems a bit snappier now. Hoperfully this will solve the ooma call dropping problem.
djbradster

Next

Return to Call Quality