Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#98223 by noop
Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:32 pm
Just have my phone number ported (in less than one week - great job OOMA) but can't get dial tone when I tried to connect to the phone jack. I had disconnected all wires from the phone co. (ATT) terminal box outside the house. Do I need to use jumpers?
#98260 by Rocky
Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:01 pm
I disconnected in the phone box outside but couldn't get anything to work then and I still am not able to hook up a phone in my other phone Jacks.
#98261 by murphy
Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:19 pm
#98287 by noop
Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:36 pm
Murphy and Ibmofo were correct. After I read the VOIP phone wiring article, I realized I have the 35 yr old lightning protector type terminal box and when I disconnected the incoming ATT wires I did not reconnect the individual house wires so I have 4 different house wires but not tied together. I would have to find some connectors (from Radio Shack?) to reconnect them.
#98308 by noop
Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:42 am
Before I can find and purchase the wire connectors, I just twist the 4 green wires and 4 red wires together respectively and I am now getting dial tone on my house jacks. Thanks for all that helped.
Now 2 questions: Will a proper wire connector offers better connection vs just twisted together the wires? Second, any difference in call quality connecting the Telo to the house jack instead of connecting directly to the modem? Will the extra length and connections of the house wires degrade the call quality?
#98313 by noop
Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:48 am
Thanks for all that helped, I'll get the butt connectors to finish off the connections.
This is a great forum with knowledgeable people who are willing to help others out. So far with one week use of Ooma I am more than satisfied with the service and call quality. Should have cut my landline long ago!