Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#89080 by f28pilot
Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:05 pm
Hi,

I'm still searching the forums but haven't found an answer yet so I'll post in case someone can save me more hours of looking...

I have a Telo connected and working correctly in that I can connect a phone and get dial tone and dial out. My house wiring is disconnected from the outside world and works correctly with a device that connects to Verizon mobile service (similar to ooma except using a cellular connection).

I have disconnected the Verizon device and have plugged the Telo phone jack into a house jack but cannot get dial tone or dial out from phones connected to other jacks. Any suggestions or is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks!
Steve
#89084 by f28pilot
Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:52 pm
Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, we're disconnected from the outside lines, we haven't had landline service for over a year at this house and for several years at our last one so no mysteries there. I have a phone cord from the "phone" port on the Telo to the house wall jack, no "wall" jack on this Telo. So far everything seems like a standard VOIP setup (we had Vonage before) but no dial tone at other wall jacks. Is there a limit on the number of jacks connected? I would guess we have about 6-8 in this house but it worked fine with our Verizon Home Phone Connect service which is very similar to VOIP.

Puzzled,
Steve
#89085 by murphy
Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:58 pm
Make sure that you don't have a phone elsewhere in the house that is "off hook".
That would prevent the distribution of a dial tone.
The Telo can feed up to 5 REN. The REN value is on the label of a phone.
#89087 by f28pilot
Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:25 pm
Hmm, checked phones and found nothing out of the normal. Only 1 fax machine and 1 phone hooked up to wall jacks right now (fax is used as phone only at this point). Any other suggestions? Will have to resume testing tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Steve
#89115 by f28pilot
Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:18 pm
murphy, thunderbird, thanks for the good ideas. I'm a bit overtasked here at the moment but I'm going to do some troubleshooting with your suggestions and will try to report back in the next day or so.

Thanks,
Steve
#89177 by f28pilot
Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:17 pm
lbmofo - probably a good idea, I was using an el cheapo patch cord. Didn't work in this case.

Finally figured out it was bad house wiring. Narrowed it down to a zone but not a particular jack yet but the other zones are up and running. I don't know how our previous service was working at all. Connecting one (or in our goofy house, a couple jacks in a zone) was the key to troubleshooting this one.

Thanks to all who replied!
Steve