Ooma Answering machine vs. landline

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
blackpippi

Ooma Answering machine vs. landline

Post by blackpippi » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:29 pm

I have an old Ooma system (not the Telo). I have kept my landline as well. My understanding is that incoming calls are routed over the landline and outgoing calls are routed through the Ooma via the internet.
Sometimes, but not consistently, voicemail is left on my Ooma system. I don't know why this is happening and I would like it to stop. I want my standard answering machine to pick up all messages.

(This is actually for my 82 year old mother. She is nearly blind and not in the habit of checking the Ooma for messages. Actually, when I installed it I tucked it out of the way so as not to confuse her. Now that I think about it, if all her messages could go to the Ooma that would be better as it has that bright red light.. But she needs one or the other and not a mix.)

Can someone please help me?

Thanks.

oomg

Re: Ooma Answering machine vs. landline

Post by oomg » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:03 am

Well, it might help to know whether your "landline" answering machine is a stand alone answering machine, one that is part of a cordless base station, or one that is external; i.e., operated by the telephone company.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

blackpippi

Post by blackpippi » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:43 pm

The answering machine is part of a cordless base station.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:04 pm

I would turn off the answering machine portion of the cordless phone and just use Ooma. That way, you only have message to retrieve from 1 place. One reason you have some going to Ooma now even when your local answering machine is on is when there is an internet outage.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:25 am

blackpippi wrote:I have an old Ooma system (not the Telo). I have kept my landline as well. My understanding is that incoming calls are routed over the landline and outgoing calls are routed through the Ooma via the internet.
Sometimes, but not consistently, voicemail is left on my Ooma system. I don't know why this is happening and I would like it to stop. I want my standard answering machine to pick up all messages.
Thanks.
If you are on a phone call when a second call comes in the second call will go to Ooma voicemail. There is no way to avoid that so the best solution is to turn off the local answering machine and only use Ooma voicemail.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx