Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#62025 by FeiGeiWay
Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:54 am
Here's my concern, since I don't currently have an income from the states, my u.s. bank account will continue to dwindle down. If I earn money in China, I can only put it in a Chinese Bank account that does not have a visa or mastercard. only china unionpay. There will come a point in time where my u.s. checking account will have like $3.00 usd in it and ooma will overdraft my account for $3.47 and cause a negative balance and cause $35 overdraft penalties.
#64366 by stevepierce
Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 am
If you are a US citizen, even money earned entirely overseas is subject to US Income tax.

So if you are avoiding money you owe to the IRS already, what does it matter if you have to pay $12 a year to use a phone with a US number. If you aren't a US citizen, then by the Chinese equivalent of an Ooma. Oh wait, there isn't one. So if you want to use it, you need to send the gov $12, boo hoo.

It sounds like you don't want to pay your taxes, not too sure many of us around here are willing to help you cheat the tax man. Especially with school closing and police layoffs and milions of US citizens out of work, hard to have any sympathy for someone trying to avoid paying US taxes.

Like another poster said, skip a couple of Starbucks in one year and pay your phone bill and you are set. Put a hundred on a prepaid Visa card and you are set for 3 years.

- Steve
#64376 by DTMF
Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:11 pm
I would imagine that Ooma support would be willing to let you pay those fees in advance. Call and ask if they have some alternate method of payment that would work better for you?
#64388 by nn5i
Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:59 pm
"Gosh, fellas, I want to live in a Communist country but not pay taxes."

"Gosh, fellas, I want to use extensive US infrastructure, and I want to do so as a parasite."

Anything else you'd like?
#64406 by southsound
Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 pm