Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#63225 by scg
Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:13 am
I am a new Ooma user (Core) as of a couple of weeks ago. I've tested different setup scenarios and have not had any problems getting the dial tone out to where I need it, with and without the Scout. I am a bit confused regarding the phone numbers though, and what I will end up with after porting my current house lines into Ooma. I chose a number when I activated, assuming it will be the temp number that goes away after I port a number in. This number is tied into my account login. I've also selected a second number (not sure if it is "personal" or "virtual") which I would like to use to test using Scout as personal device. After my first port goes through, will I have an opportunity to decide which number is replaced? My next question is whether a "virtual" or "personal" number is another temp number which goes away after my second number is ported in, or is it an instant second line number that I will be able to keep along with my two ported numbers. Can someone explain the differences between the different types of numbers? Thanks.
#63248 by tommies
Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:13 pm
In the process of porting your number, the ported number maybe unavailable for some times, hence the temp. number to be used. After the porting complete, your ported number will become the main number, and the temp. number turns to secondary during the premier free trial. If you do not have premier after the free trial expired, the 2nd/temp. number will go away.

A virtual number is used with Google voice extension (GVE) and only works with the new Telo device + premier.

A personal number is a number which is assigned to a personal device, which, in turn, only rings when the personal/assigned number is called. This feature also requires premier.
#63258 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:05 pm
I know that with the Telo handset (as well as the Scout), you can press & hold the envelope button for about 3 seconds and this will enable or disable the Do Not Disturb feature. However, I am not sure if this feature is independent per private device. If someone can confirm this, what you want to do can be done but you'll need a Telo handset as a private device with your 2nd # assigned to it.