Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#58973 by jfl
Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:13 pm
I agree that Ooma has some very innovative features. I especially like the call blocking capability. And, I don't hate Ooma (I mean, I do own their products,) I just don't like nickle-and-diming and overcharging for simple features.

I think it is OK that you don't mind paying $30 for the BT dongle. My point is that others have a different opinion and I happen to agree with that different point of view.

My point about what I am assuming is a proprietary Ooma dongle is that they are grossly overcharging for a feature that is built into their base station and which would be or used to be normally accessible with a generic dongle capable of supporting the typical 7 paired devices. I'm guessing that it may also limit the number of BT devices that are pairable with it. Most dongles only cost about $10 and are universally applicable to BT enable devices, not restricted to one vendor's devices. So, you pay much more for less - this is called greed and it is misbehavior, but it has become so commonplace in American business that most folks fail to recognize it.

With regard to customer service: I had two handsets with identical problems maintaining power and instantly draining (i.e. very likely an internal short which leaves Ooma open to serious safety liability) unless they were very carefully placed in their cradles yet I cannot find anything on this site regarding the issue and CS merely suggested making sure that the contacts were properly seated on the base. Not constructive advice. The build quality appears to be OK, although not cutting edge and very poor speakerphone implementation, but the technology for reliably charging Li-Ion batteries is very well developed and should never present the problems I encountered. I've returned one handset to the retailer and cannot really achieve full utilization of the Ooma Premier services without keeping one Ooma handset.

These are big problems for a company to whom I've given my vote. They seem very "seat-of-the-pants" but I still hope they're successful. They offer some very attractive features at the premier level that their competition doesn't offer at all. In my opinion, they are risking turning off new customers by making misguided service and equipment decisions which, when existing customers post comments like these, will serve to hurt their credibility. Again, typical short-sighted American business forgetting that each unhappy customer likely loses them 10 future sales.

Lastly, criticism needn't always be taken negatively - Ooma is hopefully reading their own bulletin boards and they should be able to learn something from their customers. So, stop defending Ooma when they are criticized just because you don't happen to agree with what's been said. I am a customer with a legitimate complaint and they're big boys and girls - they can either fix the issues or pay the consequences. If everything was always perfect there would be no need for this site to exist, now, would there?

Soapbox just shattered into pieces...............
#59049 by philw132
Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:16 pm
#59050 by philw132
Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:29 pm
i am not advertising ooma do not take it as such but here is an example of a bluetooth device, 79.99 for this, or the 29.99 for ooma's bluetooth option? hmm.......

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Xtreme+Tech ... 8087017777
#59160 by jfl
Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:20 pm
OK, Phil132, I agree with some of your points. I am not familiar enough with BT communication protocols to understand why they would be more difficult with a phone versus mouse or keyboard, so, I can''t argue the technical issue. It would be a reasonable thing for Ooma to enable BT capability with current protocols as many features are backward compatible.

Anyway, it's clear that if I want the BT capability I'll either by Ooma's button or I'll take your suggestion and buy another brand of handset.

A bit of humor for the other responder about folks arguing. The earth is round, so, talking about the other side of the world doesn't make sense if you think about it a little bit. All I'm saying is that Ooma is capable of defending their own actions and I'd like to see them get a bit more involved in their boards rather than having "fanbois" jump to their defense. I have signed up for Premier because I like the features. I'd like them better if I could use the technology that is already enabled on their hardware (e.g. BT with a generic dongle) as the originator of this thread suggested he should have also been able to continue doing. Continuing to "add" features by deactivating them and then offering to sell them to you is very bad business policy even if you think it is OK. It will cost Ooma business and if they lose enough then we all lose. They need to wise up.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this. I've got more serious problems with my Telo handset anyway as I can't seem to keep it from randomly instantaneously discharging the battery when I hang it up. There should be no way it could short itself on the charging cradle, but that is what seems to be happening.

Best regards.
#59171 by philw132
Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:30 am