Ooma core, annual regulatory recovery fee?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Dan Wells
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Ooma core, annual regulatory recovery fee?

Post by Dan Wells » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Not to complain but simply understand. I bought Ooma hub and scout from Costco in Dec 08. Based on Ooma blog explanation from 10/2/09 I believe I am exempt from taxes. Based on this same blog explanation I have recommended to 6 friends and family to purchase the original hub instead of the new telo, believing they were on original terms and avoided the $11.75 too. These units are refurbished and sold at Fry's Electronics with one year Ooma warranty. The documentation included is the same as my 08 unit with no mention of taxes. But now I wonder. I bought another refurbished unit last night, and, after visiting this topic I see now even the stated telo tax of $11.75 apparently has been superseded by a local tax (my area $3.47)? Does anyone understand the tax specifics? If the old Ooma hub is subject to the same taxes, be it $11.75 or more, then I suppose my logic is flawed and I should return this newest one for a telo. Maybe Ooma could re-issue or expand on their October blog post. Thanks.

murphy
Posts: 7208
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Ooma core, annual regulatory recovery fee?

Post by murphy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Here is my Verizon basic service monthly phone bill:

Voice Services
Dial Tone Line 8.13

Total Voice Services $8.13

Taxes, Fees & Other Verizon Charges
Federal excise tax .43
PA Gross Receipts Tax Surcharge .36
PA Relay Surcharge .08
E911 1.00
Federal Subscriber Line Charge 5.89
Federal Universal Service Fee .90

Total Taxes, Fees & Other Verizon Charges $8.66

Grand Total $16.79

The taxes and fees cost more than the phone line does.

Ooma can't afford to absorb these charges and they also can't avoid paying them to the federal and state governments.
They do what every other company in the country does and pass them on to the end user.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

allo
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:58 am
Location: FL

Re: Ooma core, annual regulatory recovery fee?

Post by allo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:38 am

murphy wrote:Here is my Verizon basic service monthly phone bill:

Voice Services
Dial Tone Line 8.13

Total Voice Services $8.13

Taxes, Fees & Other Verizon Charges
Federal excise tax .43
PA Gross Receipts Tax Surcharge .36
PA Relay Surcharge .08
E911 1.00
Federal Subscriber Line Charge 5.89
Federal Universal Service Fee .90

Total Taxes, Fees & Other Verizon Charges $8.66

Grand Total $16.79

The taxes and fees cost more than the phone line does.
...
the $5.89 is associated with Long Distance and usually not collected if a third party LD Carrier is substituted to Verizon/att
I always used a different LD carrier other than the 2 "ripoffs" above; and never paid that $5.89 .

.

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: Ooma core, annual regulatory recovery fee?

Post by lbmofo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:16 am

Dan Wells wrote:Not to complain but simply understand. I bought Ooma hub and scout from Costco in Dec 08. Based on Ooma blog explanation from 10/2/09 I believe I am exempt from taxes. Based on this same blog explanation I have recommended to 6 friends and family to purchase the original hub instead of the new telo, believing they were on original terms and avoided the $11.75 too. These units are refurbished and sold at Fry's Electronics with one year Ooma warranty. The documentation included is the same as my 08 unit with no mention of taxes. But now I wonder. I bought another refurbished unit last night, and, after visiting this topic I see now even the stated telo tax of $11.75 apparently has been superseded by a local tax (my area $3.47)? Does anyone understand the tax specifics? If the old Ooma hub is subject to the same taxes, be it $11.75 or more, then I suppose my logic is flawed and I should return this newest one for a telo. Maybe Ooma could re-issue or expand on their October blog post. Thanks.
If the product you bought and activated new (or will activate new) is Hub/Scout combo units (ooma Core), then taxes will be waived (how ooma is currently honoring terms/conditions). Even for the refurb Cores sold by Fry's it seems. But personally, I'd rather buy these ooma Core units new from TigerDirect or CompUSA at $199 while supplies last and get Bing Cashback even.

ktinca
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:49 pm
Location: SoCal - San Gabriel Valley

Re: Ooma core, annual regulatory recovery fee?

Post by ktinca » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:11 am

Just wondering...
If you subscribed to Premier at $9.99/month, are the regulatory fees part of the $9.99 or do you have to pay $9.99 + regulatory fees?
Service/Equipment: Ooma Core / Hub & Scout installed February 2010.
Internet: Charter ISP 10Mbs/1Mbs
Port request: 2/21/2010
Port completed: 3/9/2010

User avatar
Aveamantium
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Loveland, Colorado

Re: Ooma core, annual regulatory recovery fee?

Post by Aveamantium » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:35 am

ktinca wrote:Just wondering...
If you subscribed to Premier at $9.99/month, are the regulatory fees part of the $9.99 or do you have to pay $9.99 + regulatory fees?
The regulatory fees are NOT part of the premier service. You'd need to pay both fees.
Go AVS!

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: Ooma core, annual regulatory recovery fee?

Post by lbmofo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 am

Aveamantium wrote:
ktinca wrote:Just wondering...
If you subscribed to Premier at $9.99/month, are the regulatory fees part of the $9.99 or do you have to pay $9.99 + regulatory fees?
The regulatory fees are NOT part of the premier service. You'd need to pay both fees.
This is unless you are an ooma Core user (Hub + Scout combo unit); Premier or not, no tax unless ooma changes terms/conditions. If you choose to sign up for Premier, you'd pay $9.99/mo only.

oomaaddict
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:34 am

Re: Ooma core, annual regulatory recovery fee?

Post by oomaaddict » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:42 am

ok, checked on my box there is no wording on the fees for second year.Customer support was right I will not incur any charges. I referred my friend few weeks back, he bought the same device that I was having from Costco, there is a clear mark on the box that there will be regulatory charges from second year.

Post Reply