Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#42210 by raindrop
Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:35 pm
Hi All,
I have my DSL connection from AT&T / Bell SOuth in Tennessee. I am using a Westell 6100 modem in bridge mode and having the Ooma hub handle the PPPoE authentication and act as HDCP server for my devices on my network. Now using this setup I can access the web pages just fine but could not log on to hotmail, ebay, a bank’s website or yahoo e-mail. It seems that web browser could not log on to these websites due to server time-out. I was looking for a solution to this problem for two months, tried to open bunch of ports on Ooma hub, while an e-mail to Ooma support was not helpful.

So I replaced Ooma hub with a D-Link router using an MTU of 1500 and had exact same problem with time-out while logging on to the hotmail, ebay etc. On a friend's suggestion I reduced the MTU to 1480 (Windows' default MTU) and viola I could log on to the secure websites just fine. It seems AT&T DSL servers cannot handle MTU larger than 1480 and using a larger MTU like 1500 or 1492 results in the fragmentation of the packets thus causing the time-out while logging in to websites using IPSec protocol.

Now all I have to do is to find a setting on how can I adjust the MTU on Ooma hub to 1480 so that it would be combatable my AT&T DSL service. I'd appreciate any help on where can I find this MTU setting in the Ooma hub?

Thanks
#42354 by tommies
Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:47 am
I check(ooma setup>Ports page) and the telo/hub shows its MTU as 1500. My router MTU is 1492.

This MTU stuffs is new to me, so out of curiousity, I change my router MTU to 1500 and it screws me big time. I could not even change its value back, and I have to reset the router back to it factory default and spent the next 30min to put it in working order as it was before.

However I don't recall having any problem at all in the early days when I have put the hub in between my modem and my router. Now I have my ooma behind my router. My isp is ATT/Bellsouth DSL, same as yours.

May be some ooma mod. chimes in here.
#42444 by Bobby B
Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:06 pm
If the Hub is configured for PPPoE, it will auto-adjust the MTU to 1492.

With your Hub configured behind the D-link router, is it going into service at all? If so, are you able to make and receive calls?

What's the MTU on the D-link LAN ports?