Does Anonymous Call Block affect international calls?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
dxt55
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:24 pm

Does Anonymous Call Block affect international calls?

Post by dxt55 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:49 pm

I'm not sure if Caller ID is the same worldwide, but if it isn't, I would imagine Caller ID info wouldn't appear for some incoming international calls. Would Anonymous Call Block end up rejecting those calls?

I lwouldn't want that happening as they probably wouldn't have a way to "unblock" it like U.S. callers do. Other than that, I like the feature.

User avatar
ajw522
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:52 am
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Does Anonymous Call Block affect international calls?

Post by ajw522 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:52 pm

dxt55 wrote:I'm not sure if Caller ID is the same worldwide, but if it isn't, I would imagine Caller ID info wouldn't appear for some incoming international calls. Would Anonymous Call Block end up rejecting those calls?

I lwouldn't want that happening as they probably wouldn't have a way to "unblock" it. Other than that, I like the feature.
Exactly! There are times when I get international calls, and the caller-ID is Unknown Name, Unknown Number, and it would go straight to voicemail if I had the ACB enabled. I love the idea, but it wouldn't work for me. I wish there was an option, like some landline companies offer, to "announce your call", which will allow the caller to record their name, and then the receiver gets a call saying the "person" is trying to call, press 1 to accept, 2 to reject, etc. Would be a great feature!
Customer since August 2009
Hardware: Core Telo w/ HD2 Handset;2 ooma Hubs
Lifetime Premier Subscription
iPhone 7 Plus w/Ooma Mobile App
Internet: AT&T U-Verse 50Mbps

murphy
Posts: 7240
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Does Anonymous Call Block affect international calls?

Post by murphy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:02 am

Unknown name and unknown number should not get blocked by anonymous call block. There is a specific setting in the caller id protocol data that says the caller has blocked their caller id.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

daet
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:21 am
Location: Metairie, LA

Re: Does Anonymous Call Block affect international calls?

Post by daet » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:04 am

murphy wrote:Unknown name and unknown number should not get blocked by anonymous call block. There is a specific setting in the caller id protocol data that says the caller has blocked their caller id.
I can confirm this. I have anonymous call block enabled, but receive plenty of international calls with "unknown name, unknown number".

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

dxt55
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:24 pm

Re: Does Anonymous Call Block affect international calls?

Post by dxt55 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Good to know I can keep the feature on, thanks.

I wonder why that's happening to ajw522 though.

daet
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:21 am
Location: Metairie, LA

Re: Does Anonymous Call Block affect international calls?

Post by daet » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:20 pm

dxt55 wrote:Good to know I can keep the feature on, thanks.

I wonder why that's happening to ajw522 though.
I don't know, but I can confirm, as stated by murphy, that unknown number/caller is not the same as an anonymous call. I've received international calls from far east Asia, and south east Asia.

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

dknyinva
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:21 am
Contact:

Re: Does Anonymous Call Block affect international calls?

Post by dknyinva » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:24 pm

ajw522 wrote:
dxt55 wrote:
I wish there was an option, like some landline companies offer, to "announce your call", which will allow the caller to record their name, and then the receiver gets a call saying the "person" is trying to call, press 1 to accept, 2 to reject, etc. Would be a great feature!
There is. It's called Google Voice... :P

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: Does Anonymous Call Block affect international calls?

Post by lbmofo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:28 pm

I set Anonymous Call Reject to go directly to VM (doesn't show up in call log) but calls with blank name but with "UNKNOWN" as phone number will still ring the phone (shows up on call log).
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: Does Anonymous Call Block affect international calls?

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:24 am

I think Anonymous Call Reject catches the "Restricted" incoming calls (if you don't do anonymous call reject, they'd show up in your call log with "Restricted" in the phone number field).

I wonder why the "UNKNOWN" variety is not caught by Anonymous Call Reject? Even if the phone number field is really "UNKNOWN" instead of blank, checking to see whether the phone number field is a number should do the trick?
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

User avatar
tomcat
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: Does Anonymous Call Block affect international calls?

Post by tomcat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:45 am

lbmofo wrote:I wonder why the "UNKNOWN" variety is not caught by Anonymous Call Reject? Even if the phone number field is really "UNKNOWN" instead of blank, checking to see whether the phone number field is a number should do the trick?
It's my understanding (limited as it may be) that some systems may not send the caller's information properly or the information can't be retrieved by the receiving phone company. You wouldn't necessarily want to block a person's call based on just that.

However, if someone purposely keeps their number from being displayed then that is when Anonymous Call Rejection kicks in.

My two cents. :)

Post Reply