Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#25026 by dtalwar
Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:41 pm
Wow, I didn't realize that Telo didn't have this feature. I love this feature of the Hub as a fallback and just assumed that Telo will carry forward the functionality. Wonder why Ooma didn't think it worth to keep it :(?
#25029 by WayneDsr
Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:00 pm
Let me clarify that. On the Telo, if there is a network outage, the landline will kick in. If there is a power loss, the landline will not. On the hub, the landline kicked in even when you lost power.

Wayne
#25031 by Quicksprj
Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:10 pm
I just wanted to make sure you are aware that you can have dsl without a phone line. That's what I have. It's called a dry loop or stand alone dsl. Unless you want landline back up then I think it's the way to go to save the most money especially if you want features like caller id. I subscribe to premier with dry loop dsl with qwest and everything works great. Not one outage since July when o purchased ooma. I also worked out a deal with qwest to only charge $30 a month for dsl to keep me as a customer. Just food for thought.
#25045 by WayneDsr
Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:24 pm
Save costs. According to Bobby B less than 15% of ooma customers keep their landline and the number was sure to decrease in the future. Not enough to justify the exta switch.

Wayne
#25048 by murphy
Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:33 pm
I have a land line for my alarm system but it is in no way connected to my hub. There is a phone on the land line but the ringer is turned off since I have never told anyone what the number is and don't want to be bothered answering it to listen to Verizon trying to sell me FIOS.
#25539 by dtalwar
Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:38 am
I got the following bullet from Costco's webpage listing Telo:

Landline Backup Option: Be backed up during power outages or Internet outages to make 911 calls if you also choose to keep a landline connected to your Ooma Telo.

If I am reading this right, then landline kicks in both when their is a power outage and when there is Internet outage. I guess we just have to test it out. Will do it later today.