I took the plunge today and had my business phone ported to Ooma. Ooma states it takes 3-4 weeks. Is it most folks experience that it takes that long or should I expect a shorter turnaround?
Since this is my business line I'm really nervous about it and hopes everything goes well. I already have the cable modem installed so I can cut the dsl from at&t which they may do automatically it when the number is ported.
Last question: Since this is my primary business line, what would happen to my number if Ooma went belly up. Is the number somewhere in the system so it could be ported to someone else easily?
I switched from DSL to cable modem as well. Steps in this order...
1. Got Cable internet set up. Switched computers/routers over to it.
3. Signed up and hooked up Ooma (to internet as well as landline).
2. Called DSL ISP and cancelled it, but left phone number as just a landline.
3. Sent in LOA to Ooma
4. Port came through 3 weeks later.
5. Unplugged Ooma from landline
6. Called and cancelled landline.
I'm pretty sure you can port your phone number to any service you like.