Should I return my Ooma and wait for Telo?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
internetizen
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Should I return my Ooma and wait for Telo?

Post by internetizen » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi All,

I am struggling whether I should return my Ooma that I've just bought last week. After I found out that Ooma will release an update one Telo within this year... It is nice to have a cordless phone with the main unit.

It doesn't seem like they will offer any upgrade program.
If they do, I beg the price will not be much cheaper than the new one.

Any suggestion/idea?

User avatar
southsound
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: Should I return my Ooma and wait for Telo?

Post by southsound » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Why would you want to return a great item like the ooma hub/scout? It will remain functional even when Telo is out and works great with DECT 6.0 phones like the Uniden 1580 or 1588 (with the answering function turned off in my case). The only thing you will miss by getting in now is a stack of expensive phone bills!

When Telo ships, if you really want one because of the integrated cordless phone and other features, then buy it and gift your ooma hub/scout to a friend or relative. The bottom line, you will save money from today out and your friend or relative will be blessed with a very nice gift! I love my ooma hub (haven't needed the scout yet) and would not want to miss having it - even though when I bought it I was aware of the Telo. I think most on the forum would agree - but this is just my humble opinion. YMMV
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

User avatar
scottlindner
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 4:47 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Should I return my Ooma and wait for Telo?

Post by scottlindner » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:36 pm

internetizen wrote:Any suggestion/idea?
The typical ROI on Ooma is about 5 months. Figure out what your ROI is. Then estimate the date you believe you will have a TELO in your hands. If you can get a TELO before you hit your ROI, than wait. If you cannot get a TELO before you hit your ROI then hold on to your current Ooma because it will still save you money even if you just throw it away when you get the TELO. Not to mention you are likely to sell it for at least $100, and you'd be a rockstar if you gifted it to someone.

Scott

pl1
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 2:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Should I return my Ooma and wait for Telo?

Post by pl1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:48 pm

southsound wrote: I love my ooma hub (haven't needed the scout yet)
Which brings up a point I thought about when I purchased my unit. I have no use for the Scout and they charge $69 for an additional one. Why in the world not sell the Hub alone and offer it for less money. Mind you, I only paid $199 for the both of them from Amazon, but, it would certainly attract more customers if the price was lowered by selling it separately as an option.

internetizen
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: Should I return my Ooma and wait for Telo?

Post by internetizen » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:18 pm

When you bought it for $199? It is $212.99 in Amazon now.
Yeah...same here. I don't think I need the scout.
I've just bought it last week, and I hate to see the new one comes out in a month or so...

User avatar
southsound
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: Should I return my Ooma and wait for Telo?

Post by southsound » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:29 pm

You can always eBay the scout if you don't want it. Many of the users on this forum use multiple scouts. They are going for between $45 and $48 with Buy it Now.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

User avatar
bw1
Posts: 1781
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:06 am
Location: MI

Re: Should I return my Ooma and wait for Telo?

Post by bw1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Some Costco locations now have the ooma hub only for $199.99 - http://twitter.com/richbuchanan

To the OP, I agree with Scott, figure out your ROI. And you may not be able to get the Telo for at least 2 or 3 months.

frank1
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:33 am

Re: Should I return my Ooma and wait for Telo?

Post by frank1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:08 pm

I'm using a set of four Panasonic Dect 6.0 phones from Costco, they work great with the ooma hub.

A single phone in the telo wouldn't be enough for me anyway. Even if I had the telo, I'd still have to use a set of Dect 6.0 phones anyway.

By the time the telo comes out, I will have already paid for the ooma hub. I figure 5 months pays for it, and I'm already into month two.

pl1
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 2:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Should I return my Ooma and wait for Telo?

Post by pl1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:12 pm

internetizen wrote:When you bought it for $199? It is $212.99 in Amazon now.
Yeah...same here. I don't think I need the scout.
I've just bought it last week, and I hate to see the new one comes out in a month or so...
May 17, 2009 ooma Core VoIP Phone System with No Monthly Phone Service Bills $199.99
I think it went up in price the next day. I've had the same thing happen the other way as well, and Amazon stopped issuing credits for the price decrease, which doesn't seem right to me. Any brick and mortar store in my state must issue a credit if the price lowers within 30 days, I believe. But, that's how it goes. I still like the free shipping and no sales tax.

User avatar
scottlindner
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 4:47 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Should I return my Ooma and wait for Telo?

Post by scottlindner » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:34 pm

pl1 wrote:I think it went up in price the next day. I've had the same thing happen the other way as well, and Amazon stopped issuing credits for the price decrease, which doesn't seem right to me. Any brick and mortar store in my state must issue a credit if the price lowers within 30 days, I believe. But, that's how it goes. I still like the free shipping and no sales tax.
I bought mine on Amazon for $199.99 as well, and a couple of days later it went up to $209.99.

Scott

Post Reply