Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#105429 by mhowie
Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 pm
I am moving in the near future and will be utilizing Time Warner Cable for my internet. I will need to have a business phone in my new home and plan to use Time Warner's "Home Phone" product. For my personal calling needs will I be able to use my Ooma system as I have done the past few years (using Brighthouse cable internet), either alongside or somehow separate from Time Warner's VOIP "Home Phone" service?

Thanks for your insight.
#105430 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:47 pm
Definitely yes. Your cable phone service dialtone would come out of your cable modem and you setup your Ooma as you would regularly. Just don't mix the 2 dialtones together. Example, if cable phone dialtone is fed to your house wiring, don't feed your Ooma dialtone to your house wiring (unless you are feeding to a different pair by rewiring your phone jack or using L1+L2 splitters). The easiest is to just plug a DECT 6 phone base into your Ooma so you can have numerous handsets around the house getting your Ooma service.
#105431 by mhowie
Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:05 pm
Great reply and helpful description. Thanks.

I currently use my home's phone wiring to distribute the Ooma dialtone but it appears I will not have the ability unless I rewire or use splitters as you have noted.

I'm thinking I will need to position the Ooma base behind my router and connect a DECT 6 phone base as you have described? I won't know until I get into the house and subsequently have the cable internet service configured exactly where my router will be positioned.

Although...I'm not thinking I could plug in my Ooma base anywhere within the house (behind a switch) as the router would take care of things upstream? In other words I would not be bound by the physical location of the router relative to where the Ooma needed to be connected?
#105432 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:10 pm
As for setting up your Ooma, you can do any configuration...after router or before router.

"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

If you want your Ooma away from modem & router, you can use Ooma wifi adapter (if Telo) or powerline ethernet adapter, or wifi bridge... see what I use: /viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13450&start=20#p97898