Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#68655 by jonjonbear
Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:30 am
Hello all,
First, dang it takes a long time with Ooma to port a number. I have ported my phone number twice before and never took this long.
Okay, issue. The number was supposed to port yesterday, according to the site. I un-forwarded my Vonage number, and put an extra phone on the vonage device so I could tell where the ported number was going. When I got home there were like six messages on the answering machine connected to vonage from Ooma that they were testing the line. The ported number still rang through the vonage line.
So today, same issue but in testing myself, I call my vonage number and now I get a disconnect message, saying "this number is no longer in service" EEEEK! I have never had this happen. I called Ooma customer service and she says "your number is scheduled to port today" well that's not what the website says but okay. I asked her if I should worry about losing my number now that it's disconnected, she then put me on hold and went to talk to the porting folks. She told me it should all be okay...Has anyone else had their ported number go dead or to a disconnect message prior to the port?
I am going to be super PO'ed if I lose that number. I live in a semi-rural area and my number is a "metro number" which makes my number local to Austin TX. (live in Bastrop TX) and they are impossible to get.
Thanks so much,

#68659 by lbmofo
Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:52 am
Yes, "disconnected" messages do happen during the transition.
It happened for a few hours to my friend on the day of port; this was the morning, and by afternoon, port finished and everything was fine.
#68660 by murphy
Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:53 am
The ported number always goes dead when the company that has the number releases it. It will stay dead until Ooma completes their part of the port.
#68664 by jonjonbear
Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:04 am
Oh okay,
cool. I just got the email that the port was completed, and just called and goes straight to voice mail so I guess it's waiting for me to reboot.

Thanks all, I should have waited a few minutes. I guess the person I spoke to did get the ball rolling! :-)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 8 guests