Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#68464 by mikemc
Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:36 pm
Hey all,

Just purchased our ooma telo and getting ready to set it up. I want to port our vonage number, but have a silly question (figured better safe than sorry). It says to keep your current line activated until the port is complete. Does that mean do not physically unhook vonage from our home network or just do not cancel our vonage account until the porting completes?

Thanks,
Mike
#68465 by murphy
Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:44 pm
Do not cancel your Vonage account until after the port is completed.
#68466 by mikemc
Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:51 pm
That's what I figured...just wanted to make sure. Thanks murphy.
Last edited by mikemc on Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#68483 by kblgy
Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:13 pm
well untill the port is complate you will want to keep the vonage connected and do not try to cancel your account also..if it's not connected you will not receive any calls ,and if you cancel service you will loose your phone # to port over..
#68502 by mikemc
Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:22 am
thx kblgy...what is the best config to have both vonage and telo working? or should i just not hook up telo yet?

Currently, I have a cable modem -> telo -> wireless router. Then have phone cord from 'phone' to a phone jack.

Thanks,
Mike
#68503 by kblgy
Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:40 am
i have my vonage phone 1 line connected to ooma's wall plug then the rest of the house connected throught ooma's phone plug. i also have mine when i setup the port in landline mode ( not sure what that is thought) i believe it's for the ring so that when you do hook the vonage to your telo it rings throughout the house.

Keep an eye out in your account at porting atatus. also from what i'm told they will send you an e-mail or call you when the porting is complete about 3-4 weeks (not sure why so long).

all in all i have had a great experiance with my ooma product to date and i also have a handset and have also had a great experiance with that also.

just an fyi also if you use international calling and have it free on vonage, what i do is i use a phone splitter http://www.google.com/search?q=phone+sp ... ox&ie=&oe=
and i only hooked up my phone next to the telo till the port is complete.

there is one thing to remember when doing this , if you are useing the phone hooked uyp to the telo and someone else picks up a phone in the house hooked to the splitter on vonage they will take over that call and you will be directed to the second line.

i know i gave alot of info maybe you don;t need but i did it cause the only reason i went to vongae before was not just cause the price over conventianal phone lines, but for the free call to china..
#68504 by mikemc
Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:48 am
thx kblgy...to make sure I have this right:

cable modem -> telo -> wireless router, then

vonage -> wireless router?

then connect vonage phone line 1 to telo wall. I'll give it a whirl. I have vonage set up to forward calls to telo until the port is complete. so my goal is to have both the temp. telo number and the port number come to my telo.

thanks for your help...

UPDATED: Worked like a charm kblgy. Thanks again for your help.
Last edited by mikemc on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
#68506 by kblgy
Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:56 am
well i have it like this

cable modem > router > telo

cable modem > router > vonage

vonage phone 1 > telo home jack > rest of house

i have them behind the router cause i have a gigbit network and modem and those devices are not and would slow down my connection to the internet.