Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#67825 by murphy
Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:32 am
Bill1426 wrote:Is it possible to use another ATA device (Cisco ATA-186) with Ooma service ??

No.
#67826 by DTMF
Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:52 am
Not yet. I look forward to the day I can add my Ooma account to the Snom 320 in my avatar. :cool:
#67828 by southsound
Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:24 am
About a year ago I believe that someone from ooma (might have been Rich Buchanan, now passed) mentioned they were considering opening things up to a byod model - but in my own mind, the support structure needed to make that work for the masses would eat up any potential profits. When I log in to my PAP2T-NA I get several pages where I can adjust things. Multipy that by maybe 15 supported devices and add some real newbies to the mix and all of a sudden you have a company in a nosedive financially. I'm still pretty new to the underhood side of VoIP but I'm technically inclined and I am able to play around pretty well with configuring my ATA. On the other hand, most of ooma's target market want to just plug the box in and make phone calls.

ooma has a pretty good model now - they configure their network, routing, servers, firmware updates and ATA's all from their end. They have a pretty good way of rolling out a release - first to internal alpha testers, then to external beta testers, then to pilot users and finally the general base. Although there are still occasional hiccups, the process works pretty well.

And, yes, as DTMF suggests, if they ever do open it up, I'm there!
#67859 by pinan
Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:16 pm
I'd love to put my PAP2's and/or SPA 2102's to use with Ooma. They run cooler, as well as all of the other benefits. :-)
#67963 by DTMF
Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:31 pm
southsound wrote:ooma has a pretty good model now - they configure their network, routing, servers, firmware updates and ATA's all from their end.

Agreed. The big challenge they'll face with supporting BYO hardware devices is that every device seems to support a different subset of codecs. If the codecs that the device has available don't match the codecs that the service (and the current bandwidth situation) support, the result is calls connecting with no audio! That's a huge source of frustration for customers that they can completely avoid when they provide the devices.

Unfortunately for a couple of you, your PAP2 ATAs have a fairly small set of codecs that they will support. I have no idea how well those codecs line up with Ooma's collection of codecs, but it could turn out to be an issue if and when the BYO Device floodgates ever open here. ;)
#68032 by pinan
Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:49 pm
Hey! I love my PAP2's!! :D

Yeah. They're a bit long in the tooth, but still work great. I've used them with PP, MJ, F9, VT, etc.

:)
#68033 by Davesworld
Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:04 pm
DTMF wrote:
southsound wrote:ooma has a pretty good model now - they configure their network, routing, servers, firmware updates and ATA's all from their end.

Agreed. The big challenge they'll face with supporting BYO hardware devices is that every device seems to support a different subset of codecs. If the codecs that the device has available don't match the codecs that the service (and the current bandwidth situation) support, the result is calls connecting with no audio! That's a huge source of frustration for customers that they can completely avoid when they provide the devices.

Unfortunately for a couple of you, your PAP2 ATAs have a fairly small set of codecs that they will support. I have no idea how well those codecs line up with Ooma's collection of codecs, but it could turn out to be an issue if and when the BYO Device floodgates ever open here. ;)

Actually all should support g.711 and ooma does as well. Ooma may well support more codecs than they mention. What codecs does the iPhone app use?
#68034 by southsound
Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:10 pm
pinan wrote:Hey! I love my PAP2's!! :D
:)

I love mine as well. I use it mostly as a learning tool to expand my knowledge of VoIP. Paid $30 for it, new and I use it with an innexpensive VoIP service that has no minimum fees so for playing/learning it is a real bargain. It does G729 and a couple of other codecs that I don't use and G711µ which is my preferred codec. About the size of the scout with two WIRED ports and lots of configuration tweaks to get me into trouble. :P
#68062 by pinan
Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:18 pm
southsound wrote:. . . lots of configuration tweaks to get me into trouble. :P
Exactly! What fun would it all be without the chance of screwing everything up? :D