Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#67550 by tajson
Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:26 pm
Does the phone numbers that my ooma box uses go into the local phone book? If yes, what name will be used?

Or are they online only and only affact the cnames?
#67552 by southsound
Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:43 pm
By default, all ooma subscribers are listed under the surname Fred in the local whitepages. If there are more than one ooma clients in a directory, the numbers 001 through 999 are appended to the name Fred. This requires no input on your part but is done as a service to ooma subscribers. For a minimal fee of just $9.99 you can have your name in BOLD letters. Please note that this fee covers the bolding of your name only and not the number shown.

Nah, ooma doesn't publish your number - and is not very good with the CNAM database either. We're glad you are here and (hopefully) have a good sense of humor. :P
#67563 by tajson
Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:32 am
Humour is always a good thing since life is too short to be serious all the time. :D

But would it be possible to have the numbers listed in some way by either ooma publishing it or manually adding it to whoever owns the phone number series?

If I look in my local phone book, I see people listed in name only and no address. I know the phone number I could pick is not in my local area but it would be nice to have it listed in the local area of the phone number and in online phone books. (Reads: Have quite a few, nosy relatives with 'super-busy' lifes who troll everything online... maybe it is time to feed the trolls) ;)
#67566 by southsound
Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:47 am
This might help. Please note that I have not personally used it, so if you do try it, please report back your experiences to the forum. It is called List Yourself. They claim to enter your information in the databases used by 411. Their FAQ states that they do not currently have a mehtod to place your phone number in paper directories and they avoid the online ones (like yellowpages.com) because of abuse.
#67568 by tajson
Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:58 am
Thank you for your replies and I guess that I will have to manually add the numbers to some online sources so my long-lost uncle's attorny can find us and send me my inheritance which we will use to help some poor prince in Niger out of some banking issues. :D
#67569 by southsound
Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:09 am
Other things I've discovered today. You can contact almost any of the various vendors of paper directories and they will insert your residential listing for free. Here are a couple of the biggest in our area:

Zip Local - you can call them at 800 443-0801 option 3 and they will direct your call to the right area. Or you can send an email to customer.service@ziplocal.com with the proper information and they will insert it for you. There is no cost for this service but note that if you do it between cycles of publication, it may be quite a while before your information appears. (These folks used to be called PDC pages.)

Yellow Book - you can call them at 800 929-3556 and select customer service. Tell them you want to have your home number listed and they will send you to the Residential Listings Group. There is no cost for this service but note that if you do it between cycles of publication, it may be quite a while before your information appears.

DEX - you can call them but they won't be very helpful. You see, if you don't have your phone from the phone company, then you really don't have a phone. Pompus little snit didn't seem to acknowledge that there were other companies that provided what only they were qualified to sell you.

You might want to search out the drawer where you have stacked your multiple phone books and see what vendors support your area. Except for the ones owned by a telco, most seem happy to help if you call their customer service number.
#67570 by southsound
Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:13 am
Note: this has been kind of a fun diversion today - I've been registered with the Do Not Call registry since it came out and am actually pleased that my VoIP numbers don't appear anywhere. As to your Nigerian uncle's estate, the solicitor for my uncle's billions used one of my email accounts to inform me of my good fortune. I guess I could have had it in my bank account sooner if my number was published. :P
#67618 by tajson
Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:14 pm
Thank you for looking up the phone numbers and information. I appreciate your effort and glad you got a 'funny' diversion to the day.

Yes, after I visited the activate my ooma website, the DNC registry was next to get the numbers in. Like you, our regular number was in the DNC list as soon as they created it so it is pretty silent from my prince friend and all of his in-nation brothers.