Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#67464 by jquick77
Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:32 am
I did the request to port my phone number, and it came up that no numbers were available in my area. Is this a definite, or is there something else that I could try? The number was origianlly ported from verizon to phone power VOIP. Phone power also doesn't have any numbers in this area, but they were able to port it to their service.
#67465 by highq
Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:19 am
jquick77 wrote:I did the request to port my phone number, and it came up that no numbers were available in my area. Is this a definite, or is there something else that I could try? The number was origianlly ported from verizon to phone power VOIP. Phone power also doesn't have any numbers in this area, but they were able to port it to their service.

If you're porting your number, you're keeping your number, so why does the availability or unavailability of new numbers in your area matter at all?
#67471 by jquick77
Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:35 am
That is my question. When I check if the number is protable, they say that they have no numbers in my area. I already have a number in my calling area, so why can't I just port it? I will try calling back, and hopefully get a CS rep that isn't just reading from a script.
#67476 by highq
Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:59 am
You're losing me. You mention "check if the number is portable". Under Federal law for some time now, your personal phone number has been portable, at your discretion, So what is there to check, and how are you doing so?
#67492 by jquick77
Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:33 pm
I go to the ooma website and do a check number portability.
http://www3.ooma.com/phone_numbers.php
Here is the message that I get

Ooma Phone Number Availability:
We're sorry, but we currently don't have phone numbers available in your calling exchange, though we may have some available soon. To verify future availability, please call a member of our customer support team at 1-888-711-6662.
Number Porting Availability:
It looks like we can port your phone number to Ooma! If you're already an Ooma customer, you can start the porting process by visiting the My Ooma add-ons page.
Number Porting Availability:
We may not be able to port your phone number to ooma. To confirm, please contact customer support via phone or email by visiting the support page.
#67513 by Spiky
Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:58 am
You need an account. So make one, login to My Ooma, then go to the "Add-Ons" section. That is where you order a number port, not in the main website page you linked. That link is more like public advertising.

Also, try different area codes to find a temporary number. If you don't find a number, you won't have one for 2-4 weeks while waiting for your number port to finish.
#67544 by jquick77
Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:28 pm
Ok, this is the e-mail that I just got back from them today. Should I still try and order a number port? If it doesn't work, will I still be charged the $40? I understand that they wouldn't be able to give me a new number, but I don't understand why they wouldn't be able to do the port. I picked a new number with ooma, and it is in my area code of 570, but I guess they don't have the next three of 570-491. The closest I could get was a town about 20 miles away.

This email is to inform you that we will not be able to port your number at this time. After further research it has come to our attention that our carrier does not have coverage to port numbers in your rate center. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and we encourage you to check back with us in the near future.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to this email or you may also visit our support website https://www.ooma.com/support. Here, you will find helpful articles and easy-to-use tips on all things Ooma.

Thank you for choosing Ooma – we appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Ooma Provisioning Team
#67573 by eagle40
Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:25 am
I have been patiently waiting since September 17 for my number to port. First, after a four-week wait, I was informed that it could not port because I had a ringmaster number attached to my account. I went online immediately and removed the ringmaster, sent the confirmation number then learned that they were also saying my DSL was also attached to my number, which was not the case, but I called the provider and had them clear that problem, sent the confirmation number and have now waited two more weeks without having my number port. Once I called and got a tech that really seemed to want to get the job done, even though she really did not seem to know what she was doing. Other calls resulted in techs that seemed to care less if they solved the problem just told me to watch for an e-mail and keep checking my porting status online.

Needless to say, I am getting just a bit disgusted with the service from Ooma.
#67599 by jquick77
Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:19 pm
I understand your frustration. Ooma support leaves a lot to be desired. I get the feeling that they don' t know what they are talking aobut. I understand that no new numbers are available here, but I don't understand why I can't port my number. I think they just read from a script.
#67657 by Spiky
Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:21 am
eagle40 wrote:I have been patiently waiting since September 17 for my number to port. First, after a four-week wait, I was informed that it could not port because I had a ringmaster number attached to my account. I went online immediately and removed the ringmaster, sent the confirmation number then learned that they were also saying my DSL was also attached to my number, which was not the case, but I called the provider and had them clear that problem, sent the confirmation number and have now waited two more weeks without having my number port. .

My provider was Qwest, and I had "attached" DSL. But I was planning to cancel DSL, anyway, so I just ordered the port without talking to Qwest first. And it went through fast, about 2-3 weeks. Apparently Qwest just gave up my number, gave me a new number (without even telling me), and carried on as usual with new number and DSL both working.

Sorry your provider is more difficult. And Ooma.