Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#66782 by digitaldude
Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:34 pm
I recently have been successfully using the ooma telo box for calls throughout the house. When I receive calls it successfully shows incoming caller ID, however the outgoing caller ID still shows as "Unknown" for both my ported number and the virtual number given to me by ooma. I have even tied in the GVE to the virtual number to display my GV number as my outgoing caller ID and it fails to display anything but "Unknown" as well. I made sure the privacy settings box "Block display of my caller-ID for outbound calls" is unchecked and have tried both the ported number and virtual number as the default with smilar results.

I had the same problem 2 months ago case ID (CS-59901) and it was fixed for a period of time for about 1 month. However the outgoing caller ID has again resorted to "Uknown"
#67190 by magneticarc
Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:15 pm
I'm having the same problem. My outbound caller ID also shows as "Unknown" when I call my cell phone and other users of the same wireless carrier. I too have done all the checks with the Caller ID settings as well. I called customer support and the person told me that Ooma doesn't guarantee that outgoing caller ID will work, which is a lame answer.

Caller ID is a very important part of phone service these days. They should figure out what is going on and make it work, at least with major cell phone carriers.
#67325 by davegod75
Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:45 am
Same issue here and my two siblings. When we call our mother, who has a verizon landline, it displays "out of area" with no number. This just started one week ago.

Is this an Ooma problem or a verizon problem?
#67538 by dkm
Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:47 pm
I am having the same problem which started sometime this weekend. I've been an ooma user for over a year and this is happening with calls that worked fine until this weekend. I haven't made any changes to my account so it has to either be an ooma issue or local phone company issue. I suspect the former (ooma). Anyone from ooma looking into this?

-daniel-
#67561 by bw1
Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:08 am
Have you tried looking your number up here?
http://tnid.org/

For cell carriers, I think most do not support CNAM - caller id name, they only support the number and rely on your phone's contact list to display the name.
#67571 by southsound
Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:17 am
nn5i wrote:I've seen unknown, but I've never seen uknown. ;)

The term is often used for the name of a person, place, thing, quality, or action in Great Britain. :P
#67580 by lbmofo
Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:22 am
bw1 wrote:Have you tried looking your number up here?
http://tnid.org/

For cell carriers, I think most do not support CNAM - caller id name, they only support the number and rely on your phone's contact list to display the name.

This is true for all carriers that I know of. However, AT&T & T-Mobile inserts your name into CNAM db so your outgoing callerid would reflect your name to folks receiving your call. Verizon doesn't.
#67673 by gwwing
Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:14 pm
For the last week calls to friends have been stopped by a "privacy manager" telling me to use the "code" to continue with the call or to dial 1 and say my name and company. When the call finally gets through there is no caller ID and the number is a 415 area code. My area code is not even close to 415. I have tried *82 to see if the caller Id will show outgoing but It does not. If I turn on blocking the outgoing caller ID and use *82 I was able to connect once. Have not been able to duplicate it again. I have had my outgoing caller ID enabled since I have had the system (2/09) with no problems until now. Friends don't have an idea of what the "code" is I am supposed to use. Or maybe they are all trying to keep me from calling?!! :? Anyway no help yet from customer service except to have my friends turn off whatever privacy manager they may have. Not a good option with the election campaigns going on. Guess my "deal" on the lifetime Premier service may not be such a deal after all. Anyone else have this recent problem?

Thanks
#67696 by gjwhitehorn
Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:19 pm
southsound wrote:
nn5i wrote:I've seen unknown, but I've never seen uknown. ;)

The term is often used for the name of a person, place, thing, quality, or action in Great Britain. :P

haha! it took me a minute but i get it now. good call. :D