Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#66246 by RClay
Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:39 am
All,

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but just recently adding cable internet service at home and the only way to get our telo to work is to place it between the cable modem(motorola SB6120 SURFboard) and our Apple Airport Extreme. Will this placement degrade the connection speed?
#66250 by murphy
Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:20 am
RClay wrote:All,

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but just recently adding cable internet service at home and the only way to get our telo to work is to place it between the cable modem(motorola SB6120 SURFboard) and our Apple Airport Extreme. Will this placement degrade the connection speed?

The Telo has a 10/100 mbps LAN interface.
The fastest cable internet available is about 50 mbps. Much more common is 12 mbps. The SB6120 has a 1 gbps (1000 mbps) WAN interface but it's of little use if the cable connection limits the speed to 12 mbps.
It should not affect your connection speed.
#66254 by murphy
Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:48 am
RClay wrote:Thank you! how did you get lifetime premier service?

It was available in late 2009 for 3.5 times the cost of Annual Premier.
The offer expired 12/31/2009.
It is no longer available.
#66264 by RClay
Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:34 am
Murphy, Hate to keep hitting you up with questions, but you seem to be knowledgeable. I installed the Ooma inline between the cable modem and Apple router and I have virtually no connection speed at all. I went from Speed testing @ 24.81mbps before to 0.21mbps after. Plus the modem connection originally was flashing blue which(according to manual) indicated bonded gigabit connection and now after the insertion of Telo it is flashing orange which supposedly indicates a component is connected through "10base-T or 100base-T". Any ideas?
#66267 by murphy
Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 am
RClay wrote:Murphy, Hate to keep hitting you up with questions, but you seem to be knowledgeable. I installed the Ooma inline between the cable modem and Apple router and I have virtually no connection speed at all. I went from Speed testing @ 24.81mbps before to 0.21mbps after. Plus the modem connection originally was flashing blue which(according to manual) indicated bonded gigabit connection and now after the insertion of Telo it is flashing orange which supposedly indicates a component is connected through "10base-T or 100base-T". Any ideas?

Did you configure the QOS in the Ooma box? With your speeds I would set both the download and upload numbers to 0 (disabled).
If the bottom LED was blue when you had the router connected to the modem, the WAN connection was running at 1 gbps.
Inserting the Ooma between the modem and the router will make it run at 100 mbps. This is not a problem since there is no way to achieve gigabit throughput from the modem's WAN port. The only way to keep the gigabit speed on the WAN port is to put the Ooma behind your router.

Downstream bonding is indicated by the second LED from the top. Blue means your downstream connection is bonded.
Bonding will not increase your overall throughput. The modem is throttled to the speed that you are paying for.
#66332 by RClay
Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:53 pm
Murphy,
I'm not going to be able to try this out tonight as my wife needs to occupy the computer for class assignments (going back and getting RN). I will give this a shot tomorrow at some point. I have another thought though.......Could I replace both the cable modem(Motorola SURFboard SB6120) and airport extreme with an Motorola SBG6580 all-in-one and just eliminate my issues all together? I have read a little on the SBG6580 and complaints seem to come from the wireless signal strength. The selling point of the apple router was stability and overly glorious reviews from best buy employees and other friends with macs.
So, setting the QoS download and upload numbers to 0(disabled) will allow for best possible connection speed and allow the Telo to work properly?
Hope I am not a bother.
#66343 by murphy
Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:27 pm
The Telo will run properly unless you have your internet connection maxed out all of the time. The Telo needs about 215K (0.215 mbps) to operate. With the speeds that you have available, that is not noticeable.
#66363 by RClay
Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:38 am
Murphy,
Seems to be working. Speedtested @ 24.81mbps right after setting QoS to 0 & 0 and rebooted everything. Hopefully this will continue. You have been a big help to me and I thank you for that. Can't say I won't pester you again in the future though. I guess that is the curse of being helpful.

Happened to read an EZine article of a person who bought a telo and hooked it behind the Airport Extreme and due to fast cable speeds it was able to handle it. I may test that as well later as the QoS setting seems to have resolved my issues.

Thanks again for your help. I will pass this tidbit along on Apple forms for others in the same situation.