Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#69335 by RedStripe
Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:37 pm
Dennis P wrote:Anyone who has recently opened up a support ticket regarding fax failures was moved to a special server last night. This should improve your faxing performance while we isolate the cause of packet drops that are making faxing more problematic than before.

Jay521 and TheDarkKnight, I've verified that you two were moved to the new server.

Dennis, is there any way you can include me on that special server? I'm the OP and I use the older Hub unit. It seems that a lot of the recent posts have been Telo users. For the past 2 or 3 weeks, faxing is a hit or miss thing on a daily basis. My best theory so far for the faxing problems which I posted earlier in this thread (besides any software or codec issues), is that it has to do with server traffic. I'm much more likely to be able to successfully send a fax at the beginning or end of the work day. I have the most trouble and I see the most failures during the afternoons and middle of the day. I'm not sure if that corresponds to more traffic on the servers or not, but that is the most common pattern I've experienced, and I fax to different fax numbers on a daily basis.
#69358 by saturdayhero
Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:43 am
Here is the fax troubleshooting solution that worked great.

At first, I could not connect successfully when sending a fax.
Now I can send 20 page faxes with NO PROBLEM!

Step 1: I logged into ooma and designated one of the phone numbers as my fax line.

Step 2: I threw out the vertical feed fax machine and got a HP Photosmart Premium Fax Machine. I liked it because it allows the papers to lay "flat". That means no more fax pages sticking together. The other fax machine was too old to configure properly with Ooma. I got a new fax machine to eliminate this variable.

Step 3: I set the fax transmission to a baud rate of 9600 baud. This is the slowest faxing setting I could choose.

Step 4: I called Charter Cable and told them to upgrade me from 8mbps per second to the 16mbps per second. This faster speed is the "key" that made everything fax properly...20 pages at a time.
It was not until I got a faster cable connection that the fax went through flawlessly.

I am very, very happy that this works for me. I did not want to call AT&T with my tail tucked between my legs and ask for them to reinstall a phone line at my home. I no longer pay $137 per month for that phone line.

Just do it. Faster speed makes all the difference.
#69364 by sfhub
Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:10 am
saturdayhero wrote:Step 4: I called Charter Cable and told them to upgrade me from 8mbps per second to the 16mbps per second. This faster speed is the "key" that made everything fax properly...20 pages at a time.
It was not until I got a faster cable connection that the fax went through flawlessly.

I think it is great you are posting your experience.

However I doubt the extra bandwidth, in and of itself, is the key to fixing the problem for the general user because the bandwidth used by the codec is so small relative to even your 8mbps service, bandwidth can't be the problem.

Now, if your new service accompanied changes in latency or hid packet loss, then that might have affected what you saw.

I'm glad you have resolved your issues.
#69623 by DTMF
Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:18 am
The latest Telo update, 1.42086 included this fax fix: "Increase jitter buffer for fax mode"
#69629 by 8567620456
Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:42 pm
:? Fax just doesn't work. They don't respond if you ask intelegent questions. Their slow the speed, turn off ecm. Stand on one foot jumping while holding youe fax machine doesn't work either. I tel you what does work... VONAGE
#69630 by ntoy
Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:56 pm
8567620456 wrote::? Fax just doesn't work. They don't respond if you ask intelegent questions. Their slow the speed, turn off ecm. Stand on one foot jumping while holding youe fax machine doesn't work either. I tel you what does work... VONAGE

Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

You may not want to advertise your phone number in the forum due to unwanted calls. Please send me a personal message on what you would like it changed to. Made a route adjustment, can you try faxing again?

Thx
#69926 by vic_bk
Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:45 am
I had faxing issue previously with my OOMA Hub. I left response in this forum and sent e-mail to OOMA's customers support. Today I tried to fax 2 pages and it was successfully received. I used *99 and had ECM turned on (with ECM off I had mixed results).

Thank you OOMA and ntoy.
#69938 by ntoy
Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:36 am
RedStripe wrote:Faxing from my Ooma Hub hasn't worked at all today and yesterday. Any help for me?

Have you tried faxing recently?
#69968 by mtnmedic
Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:59 pm
Having trouble with faxing out...AGAIN.

First time around, which occurred earlier this year, the solution was to prepend the outbound number with *99.

Was doing fine with that for a long while. Now it doesn't work. Nothing works. It either starts faxing a page or two then is interrupted or, right after the connection, it stops, both with "communication error, fax incomplete" message.

I've tried turning off ECM and V.34, one and then the other, both, restarting the printer/fax unit, etc. I checked all my connections (Epson Artisan 800 directly connected to Telo base). Also made sure that my phone line's fax mode is enabled via My Ooma. Nada.

Haven't had the need to fax anything for a month or so. I've read about some update Ooma did in mid-October, so I'm beginning to suspect that's the problem.

I rarely fax but when I do, it's important. Like today's fax...to the CA FRANCHISE TAX BOARD. And I live way up in the mountains, snowed in for some time. This is really frustrating.