Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#65864 by jokubik
Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:30 am
I bought the Ooma from Radio shack on 7/23/10 and it's giving me a lot of problems.

The main one and most annoying is that when someone calls my house line, they get a busy signal, while on my phone my phone either doesn't right at all, but more often it does rings but I pick up and I can't hear them (only silence) and they can't hear me (they have the busy signal).
I have comcast, and fios is not available in my area yet. The ooma is connected directly to the cable modem.

It there any way I can return the Ooma, I didn't realize how many people were actually getting a busy signal till now.
Last edited by jokubik on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
#65865 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:40 am
jokubik wrote:I didn't realize how many people were actually getting a busy signal till now.

I am not sure what your setup is but this is not normal by any means. Are you trying to do landline integration mode using your comcast voice device's dialtone? Is your house wiring disconnected from the Telephone company?
#65867 by jokubik
Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:57 am
lbmofo wrote:
jokubik wrote:I didn't realize how many people were actually getting a busy signal till now.

I am not sure what your setup is but this is not normal by any means. Are you trying to do landline integration mode using your comcast voice device's dialtone? Is your house wiring disconnected from the Telephone company?

The ooma is NOT connected to the wall wiring; it's connected directly to a phone with 5 handsets.

Internet connection is the following:
Cable Modem -> Ooma -> airave -> router

There is no constant downloading going on on any of the house machines, and the internet is rarely used (mostly for facebook, etc)

No landline integration.

The comcast connection is flaky at times (a bit slow), I'm thinking this might contribute to the problem, but voice quality is ok most of the times (echos only sometimes, although echos do happen from time to time).

The only possible thing I could do except switch back to verizon is try to install a docsis 3.0 cable modem.
#65868 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:12 pm
With cable connection going slow to the point where you notice, it is probably a good idea to switch to a different modem (if you rent, just have comcast give you a new one). When cable modems start to go, usually, they give you intermittent problems vs all out going bad.