Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#4380 by sdkm
Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:37 am
How do I setup the OOMA Hub for a web server using a dynamic IP? OOMA blocks my server. My server works fine when my DSL modem is connected to my router.
#4402 by ooma-fan
Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:41 pm
OOMA hub blocks some ports/traffics of your web server. You can check your ooma setup page by browsing to http://setup.ooma.comfrom a computer connected behind the "HOME" port of the ooma Hub. What you can play on ooma hub is limited.

Did you try to connect your ooma hub to your router, instead of your DSL modem? It's not a recommended setting, but if your router, which is fully under your control, does not block ooma traffics, I guess the setting should work. The shortcoming is your OOMA QoS can not be guaranteed as it is now sharing available bandwidth with your web server and whatever connected to the rest of router ports.
#4404 by sdkm
Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:50 pm
Yes I did connect it to my router and it did not work. Is there any settings in my router that would allow the OOMA to work? The error message is my router is not accepting web site connections or remote access connections when OOMA is connected to my modem. I had a 4 port hub connected to my modem and then I connected the OOMA and router to the 4 port hub and it seemed like which ever device picked the IP would be the one that worked. I believe if I had 2 static IP's it would work but I do not want to pay the additional cost???
#4406 by lohertz
Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:59 pm
sdkm wrote:Yes I did connect it to my router and it did not work. Is there any settings in my router that would allow the OOMA to work? The error message is my router is not accepting web site connections or remote access connections when OOMA is connected to my modem. I had a 4 port hub connected to my modem and then I connected the OOMA and router to the 4 port hub and it seemed like which ever device picked the IP would be the one that worked. I believe if I had 2 static IP's it would work but I do not want to pay the additional cost???

You should be able to plug the ooma to one of the lan ports on your router and it should work fine. If you run into troubles power cycle everything. Turn off everything and turn each item on one at a time. First the modem, second the router and third lan devices (ooma, computers, laptop) be sure to allow ample time before you start up the next device 30s - 60s should be plenty.

Your modem will access your isp, then your router will pull the ip from the isp.

The ooma takes a few moments to connect to the ooma servers so be patient. you shouldn't have to do anything special or configuration. although you may want to check your router's settings to ensure your QoS engine is on.