Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#65126 by vwiley
Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:14 pm
I requested my number be ported from AT&T to Ooma, but it ended up getting ported to Paetec (McLeodUSA). I now need to get an account activated with them before I can get the number ported again. The problem is that they say the number was set up in a very strange way that they've never seen. Someone screwed up -- either Ooma or AT&T. It's been almost a week that we haven't had our phone number operational. I've spent about 5 hours on the phone and talked with 30-40 people. What a pain!

Has anyone else had or heard of a porting problem like this? I don't think there's anything else I can do other than wait for Paetec to get my account set up and hope that the number gets ported correctly after that. But, if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
#65131 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:29 pm
This is virtually impossible since there are confirmations/check&balance along the way.

Let's say that this actually happened. Porting dept in Ooma needs to see through rectification; they would talk to whoever messed up. You don't have to activate phone service anywhere else. That would be rediculous.
#65138 by vwiley
Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:04 pm
Well, virtually impossible still means possible. You know those "rare but serious" side effect for a medication -- somebody got those. I think you're right that I don't have to activate the service. I'll be on the phone with Paetec tomorrow with the porting tech person from Ooma!
#68740 by kxh1
Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:37 am
I am having the same problem but my number was with Vonage and ported to Ooma. My number is now ported to Mcleodusa - Mo. I have access to the LNP database and had a friend I work with find where my number was in the database. I do not know if Ooma uses McLeodUSA as a carrier or not. I am still trying to get this resolved. Waiting for another phone call from Ooma on the status....
#68752 by southsound
Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:37 am
kxh1 wrote:I am having the same problem but my number was with Vonage and ported to Ooma. My number is now ported to Mcleodusa - Mo. I have access to the LNP database and had a friend I work with find where my number was in the database. I do not know if Ooma uses McLeodUSA as a carrier or not. I am still trying to get this resolved. Waiting for another phone call from Ooma on the status....

I don't know what companies ooma partners with, but it is certainly possible. In 2007, McLeod was acquired by PAETEK Holding Corp. Here is a link to the wiki on Paetek and a link to the corporate website.
#68755 by lbmofo
Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:50 am
kxh1 wrote:My number is now ported to Mcleodusa - Mo.

One thing is for sure, as of now, it would never say ported to Ooma; always Ooma's carrier such as XO, O1, Choice One, Alec etc. It does look like Paetec is one of Ooma's carriers.