Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#65161 by alanrf
Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:41 am
Reading through this thread it occurs to me to wonder if you have tried a test with a phone just connected directly to your Ooma device and then to see if the call-ider is shown. If you have not done so then please try. I admit to being a recent Ooma customer and my home phone system is directly connected to my Ooma Telo and I have no issues with direct caller-id.

I ended up reading in this thread since it seems there are some posters who see it as their role in life to decry any problems with Ooma and I hope they will not deter you from seeking a resolution to your problem. Would instead that they offered help and advice rather than telling you that the problem you are experiencing does not exist.
#65174 by lbmofo
Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:35 am
alanrf wrote:I ended up reading in this thread since it seems there are some posters who see it as their role in life to decry any problems with Ooma and I hope they will not deter you from seeking a resolution to your problem. Would instead that they offered help and advice rather than telling you that the problem you are experiencing does not exist.

alanrf, could you point to me where other posters told kcooper1000 that his/her problem doesn't exist?

kcooper1000 wrote:Once again, I need to point out that there are LOTS of forums with people using the various makes/models of Dect 6.0 handsets that do not have working incoming Caller ID, and that get the message "No Data." I find it a little hard to believe, after reading those posts, that it's in my hardware.

I even saw (a couple months ago) a response from an OOMA moderator saying that there's a fix coming with one of the versions of OOMA that is updated automatically to my hardware.

alanrf, if you know where these posts that kcooper1000 is talking about are, please point them out because I sure missed them.
#65175 by kcooper1000
Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:27 am
lbmofo, here is what southsound wrote:

There is not a problem with regular Caller ID. Maybe the support person, like yourself, is confused with the differences. Again, there is no problem with regular caller id - it is only CWCID that has been an issue.

Sure sounds to me like I was told the problem doesn't exist. And that I'm such an idiot that I don't know the difference between CWCID and regular Caller ID. I'm a college graduate, and this isn't rocket science.

Here are some older posts with people having problems similar to mine:

Re: INCOMING Caller ID not working.
by capecodfam » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:11 pm

I am having this same problem. I do not have a landline.

I was a vonage customer who switched to ooma. Caller ID did work with vonage through the satellite TV and my GE dect 6.0 phones. I have exact same setup with ooma and now caller id only works on the tv.

For what it's worth, I just received my telo and installed a few days ago. I have it behind my router and the phone port is connected to my whole house wiring so each jack is lit up. (I disconnected the phone company's network interface device years ago). I am porting my old number over. However, cid doesn't work no matter if i call my temp number or vonage number (which I have forwarding to my temp number).

I can't figure out why it would work with the satellite and not the phones. Especially, since it did work with vonage.capecodfam

E-mail capecodfam

Re: Inbound caller ID not working
by indie_dev » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:57 pm

I opted to keep my land line for backup purposes.

My Panasonic KX-TG6445T (Dect 6.0) handsets displays "unknown" for all in-bound calls. So there is something fishy going on there. The base unit is connected directly into the Telo and the Telo into the wall jack.indie_dev

Re: Inbound caller ID not working
by gods.girl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:36 am

No, I don't have a land line. However, I borrowed someones brand new Ooma handset to try and it reads fine, so it must be the phone having issues with Ooma? Why did it work fine at first installation of Ooma Telo and not now? I dont understand though, because the phone is only a year old and a DECT 6.0. After trying the Ooma handset, I dont really care for it and would prefer to stick with a regular cordless. I found the handset responds slow and has some glitches where it freezes up and you have to shut the phone off completely to get it to start working again. Also the battery only lasts just over an hour. The phone had never been used yet so when i plugged it in for the first time i left it to charge for almost 20 hours so it should be charged correctly. Are there any particular DECT 6.0 phones that will work with Ooma for the caller ID? I've been looking at Panasonic in particular.
Thanks!gods.girl

E-mail gods.girl

Need more, or is that enough? Or would you like a chill-pill?

Thanks, alanrf, for your support.

And still I wait for someone from Ooma to comment on this thread and hopefully give me some GOOD advice on how to fix the problem.
#65189 by kcooper1000
Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:27 am
I just found more evidence of this being a problem for more people (outside of this Ooma forum):

said by PX Eliezer :

Strange as it may seem, have you tried attaching a different phone to your Ooma unit?

I once had this issue with a different provider, and it turned out to be the phone itself.

In my case, I had to raise the ring voltage on the ATA. Obviously that's not doable with Ooma, but maybe switching the phone is worth a try.

You've made an excellent suggestion. If he can verify that the caller-id information is in the "My Ooma" call log, he can contact Dennis Peng via email using the Ooma forums and request the voltage be adjusted. Dennis is capable of providing various custom services as needed by Ooma subscribers.

jamnut24@sbcglobal.net

I have the same problem and it started on the same day, 11/29.

My caller id worked fine until that date and has not worked since. All of the calls are properly identified on OOMA call log and I also purchased a new phone a week ago which still does not provide caller id. The message that I get on caller id is "incoming call" which was the same with my old uniden phone as it is with my new panasonic.

I called OOMA support a week ago and they had me perform a "hard restart" which did not help. They them told me that they would need to "run some tests" and they would get back to me.

Note of particular interest the second suggestion: that I should email DennisP on this Ooma forum and ask for the voltage to be adjusted. "My Ooma" caller ID logs are all correct -- so this info should be coming through to my phones, but isn't.
#65194 by Bobby B
Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:53 am
There aren't any open bugs on inbound caller-ID not working on the Telo, so we'll need to do some digging to figure out what your issue is.

1. Can you list the phones you have tried on your Telo (exact make and model #'s)?
2. Were the phones you tried plugged directly into the PHONE port on the Telo? Just want to make sure there's no potential interference caused by house wiring for home distribution setups.
3. Does the issue persist if you swap out the phone cable connected between the PHONE port and your phone?
#65199 by lbmofo
Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:08 pm
kcooper1000 wrote:lbmofo, here is what southsound wrote:

There is not a problem with regular Caller ID. Maybe the support person, like yourself, is confused with the differences. Again, there is no problem with regular caller id - it is only CWCID that has been an issue.

Sure sounds to me like I was told the problem doesn't exist. And that I'm such an idiot that I don't know the difference between CWCID and regular Caller ID. I'm a college graduate, and this isn't rocket science.

SouthSound did not say that your problem didn't exist. He was saying that there are no known issues with standalone callerid and hence there is no "fix" coming. Further, he did not call you an idiot, you called yourself that.

southsound wrote:The fix they were talking about was for CWCID - Call Waiting Caller ID. It is not the same as regular Caller ID when a person calls your idle phone and your phone shows who is calling. There is not a problem with regular Caller ID. Maybe the support person, like yourself, is confused with the differences. Again, there is no problem with regular caller id - it is only CWCID that has been an issue. The two caller id's even use different technology so don't assume that a problem with one causes a problem with the other.

If you are wondering, here is why SouthSound made his comment:

kcooper1000 wrote:I even saw (a couple months ago) a response from an OOMA moderator saying that there's a fix coming with one of the versions of OOMA that is updated automatically to my hardware.

Can you point this post out to me please (having to do with standalone callerid)? If you can't, you are the one being ridiculous getting all upset and calling yourself names over SouthSound's comment.

kcooper1000 wrote:Here are some older posts with people having problems similar to mine:

These examples you posted are irrelevant.

capecodfam wrote:I can't figure out why it would work with the satellite and not the phones. Especially, since it did work with vonage.

Since the Satellite receiver gets callerid from Ooma and not the phone, the problem is with the phone.

indie_dev wrote:The base unit is connected directly into the Telo and the Telo into the wall jack.

This is a known problem with some landline integration setups.

gods.girl wrote:Are there any particular DECT 6.0 phones that will work with Ooma for the caller ID? I've been looking at Panasonic in particular.

Again, problem with the phone, not Ooma.

Did you read the post right below by bw1?

bw1 wrote:It's been reported here that certain cordless phones are not correctly displaying caller id with the Telo. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5717&p=41030&hilit=caller+id+Telo#p41030
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5612&p=40652&hilit=caller+id+Telo#p40652

My Panasonic model KX-TG6440 works fine.

kcooper1000 wrote:Need more, or is that enough? Or would you like a chill-pill?

No, I don't need more irrelevant examples; they are useless. As for the chill pill, I better save them for others that are more needy.

If you already tried many different phones, follow DTMF's advice. If you haven't, try different phones first.

DTMF wrote:If I were you, I'd call again and push Ooma to exchange your Telo. Since there are thousands of Ooma subs for whom CID is working just fine, this seems more likely to be an issue in your hardware.

To get them to do that, you'll probably have to have proven before the call (and be prepared to explain in excruciating detail) that CID doesn't work no matter which of at least 2-3 phones are plugged into the Telo. (Buy a cheap wired handset at Target if you don't have spares lying around - you can return it to the store when you're done w/the test.) OTOH, if CID DOES work when another phone is plugged into it, that would point to an issue with your DECT phone system.

kcooper1000 wrote:Once again, I need to point out that there are LOTS of forums with people using the various makes/models of Dect 6.0 handsets that do not have working incoming Caller ID, and that get the message "No Data." I find it a little hard to believe, after reading those posts, that it's in my hardware.

One more time...just to make sure you are getting the message....either your phone or your Ooma is having trouble reflecting incoming callerid. As of now, there are no known issues with standalone incoming callerid hence there is no "fix" coming. If you are waiting for a firmware update, you're gonna be waiting a long long time.
#65203 by Bobby B
Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:37 pm
kcooper1000 --

I've deleted your previous post - Please refrain from launching personal attacks against other Ooma users - it won't be tolerated on the forum.

I'm locking this thread - please e-mail me your answers that I posted below and I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot this further.

Bobby B wrote:1. Can you list the phones you have tried on your Telo (exact make and model #'s)?
2. Were the phones you tried plugged directly into the PHONE port on the Telo? Just want to make sure there's no potential interference caused by house wiring for home distribution setups.
3. Does the issue persist if you swap out the phone cable connected between the PHONE port and your phone?