Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#64840 by kcooper1000
Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:06 pm
Hi -- So I installed my new Ooma Telo last April. My incoming Caller ID has never worked properly -- it is intermittent at best, and says "No Data" most of the time for incoming calls. I use cordless GE Dect 6.0 handsets, connected directly to the Ooma Telo. I do not have a landline (only DSL service through my wall outlet, which the Oooma device is plugged into). I had my old phone number successfully ported many months ago. I was originally told that the Caller ID work start working once my number was ported. No such luck. During my 6-1/2 hours on various phone calls to tech support since April, I have repeatedly been told that my issue will be fixed within 7-10 days. This came from supervisors in tech support 4 of those times. Raymond even gave me a $10 international credit for my trouble!

And, alas, I still to this day remain without consistently working incoming caller ID. I understand that Premier members get the full name and number -- I don't even care about the name at this point -- I just need to see who's calling!! I use this line for home and business, and if I can't see who's calling, I don't know how to answer my phone!!

This is ridiculous. I see on these forums that I am certainly not the first one with this problem, using Dect 6.0 cordless handsets (of various makes/models), with other people getting "No Data" as well. So it's not my phones, and it's not me.

Is there anyone out there who can help me get my Caller ID to work for incoming calls????!!! PLEASE! Otherwise I will have to get rid of this Ooma system -- and I will be sure to tell all my friends about this experience.

Thanks for any help out there!!
#65091 by kcooper1000
Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:32 am
Yes, I have tried other phones, with the same result (i.e., "No Data" 90% of the time). As I mentioned at the start of this thread, I know that this is a known problem to OOMA Technical Support, as I have read many other such forums on this site, with people having the same problem. No one ever seems to post a fix to it, though, if there is one.

This is the 6th MONTH of having an open technical support with OOMA regarding this problem. Have you ever, EVER had an open trouble ticket with a company for six months? I know I haven't, before now.

Are there any OOMA moderators out there who can help me out? I think this is the last week that I'm giving OOMA to start having my Caller ID work for inbound calls.
#65092 by DTMF
Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:39 am
If I were you, I'd call again and push Ooma to exchange your Telo. Since there are thousands of Ooma subs for whom CID is working just fine, this seems more likely to be an issue in your hardware.

To get them to do that, you'll probably have to have proven before the call (and be prepared to explain in excruciating detail) that CID doesn't work no matter which of at least 2-3 phones are plugged into the Telo. (Buy a cheap wired handset at Target if you don't have spares lying around - you can return it to the store when you're done w/the test.) OTOH, if CID DOES work when another phone is plugged into it, that would point to an issue with your DECT phone system.
#65094 by kcooper1000
Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:49 am
On my more than six hours with technical support in the last six months, I have been told repeatedly that they know what the problem is and that it will be fixed within 7-10 days. Once, I was even told that the problem was being elevated to a senior level technician in Palo Alto! I thought, for sure, this time it'll get done. That was four months ago.

Once again, I need to point out that there are LOTS of forums with people using the various makes/models of Dect 6.0 handsets that do not have working incoming Caller ID, and that get the message "No Data." I find it a little hard to believe, after reading those posts, that it's in my hardware.

I even saw (a couple months ago) a response from an OOMA moderator saying that there's a fix coming with one of the versions of OOMA that is updated automatically to my hardware.

Still nothing for me though!

Is there ANY way for an OOMA moderator to PLEASE respond and let me know if I should just throw this thing away and give up, or is there hope on the horizon?!!
#65137 by southsound
Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:54 pm
The fix they were talking about was for CWCID - Call Waiting Caller ID. It is not the same as regular Caller ID when a person calls your idle phone and your phone shows who is calling. There is not a problem with regular Caller ID. Maybe the support person, like yourself, is confused with the differences. Again, there is no problem with regular caller id - it is only CWCID that has been an issue. The two caller id's even use different technology so don't assume that a problem with one causes a problem with the other.
#65144 by kcooper1000
Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:31 pm
This is getting really ridiculous, and quite insulting. I very well know the difference between Caller ID and CWCID. And to imply that for the last six months, every tech support representative that I've spoken with doesn't know the difference either is preposterous.

If you cannot help me solve the INCOMING CALLER ID problem (not CWCID), then please do NOT reply to this forum. THERE IS A PROBLEM FOR QUITE A FEW OF US WITH THE INCOMING CALLER ID. If you don't believe me, go back 8-9 months on these forums and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Seriously?
#65156 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:39 pm
kcooper1000 wrote:This is getting really ridiculous, and quite insulting. I very well know the difference between Caller ID and CWCID. And to imply that for the last six months, every tech support representative that I've spoken with doesn't know the difference either is preposterous.

If you cannot help me solve the INCOMING CALLER ID problem (not CWCID), then please do NOT reply to this forum. THERE IS A PROBLEM FOR QUITE A FEW OF US WITH THE INCOMING CALLER ID. If you don't believe me, go back 8-9 months on these forums and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Seriously?

kcooper1000, you need to take a chill pill. Frankly, I was thinking the same thing as SouthSound. I don't recall seeing any callerid issues reported...only CWCID issues. Those non CWCID related posts that reported callerid issues had to do with landline integration mode which I am thinking doesn't apply to you since you already ported your number months ago.

So, logic tells me:

1) your phone is no good or
2) you are not waiting long enough to see the callerid (normally you'd have to wait until the 2nd ring to see the callerid info) or
3) your ooma hardware is bad or
4) you got something weird plugged into your ooma (is your ooma's "wall" port connected to anything? it should be empty not connected to anything) or
5) you got some electronic equipment putting out nasty interference signals sitting close to your Telo or
6) the phone wire you are using sucks and is intermmittent in providing a solid connection

As you can see, some of these are pretty far fetched but without seeing, in person, what your setup is, folks have to ask questions to hopefully zero in on your problem.

If you can't handle all the questions or comments, maybe this forum isn't the right place to seek help. However, I can tell you that the questions/comments posted by folks are not meant to insult.