Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#64710 by mtobey
Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:51 am
I've searched these and other forums for a solution and have not found anything, so my apologies if this issue is already covered somewhere.

I have a home network setup with Comcast internet (16MBps), Ooma and Airport Extreme Wireless Router. All of my devices connect over wifi: 2 Intel MacBooks (2008 era), a Windows 7 nettop PC and two iPhone 4s.

My problem is this: Whenever I am on a call on Ooma, the network connection on my Macbook becomes very slow and usually disconnects completely until the call is over. Sometimes the network can be seen by the Macbook, but cannot connect. The weird thing is, this only happens on my Macbook, not my wife's and not any of the other machines. When I'm not on a call, the connection is flawless. I suspect it may only affect my Macbook because that was the machine on which I setup the router originally, but I'm only guessing and am not savvy enough to really know for sure.

Originally, I had my Ooma between the modem and the router. When I kept experiencing this problem though, I tried moving it after the router, but it did not seem to change anything. It is currently in the latter configuration (modem, router, ooma).

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
#64715 by southsound
Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:42 am
First off, welcome to ooma and to the forum!

Your problem is probably caused by interference with your wireless network. My guess is that you have either a 2.4ghz cordless phone system or a 5.8ghz cordless system that uses 2.4ghz as a control channel. I have a Plantronics cordless headset that can take down the network from across the house. If you use either of these cordless phone types, try disconnecting the power supply from the base and connect up a corded phone - I'll bet your problem will be gone.