Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#64553 by Dead_Cow
Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:37 am
Hey Guys, you've broken Google Voice presentation. When I get a call via Google Voice (the only number I give to people), when I get the call on my home (ooma-based) phone, I pick up, it says "press 1 to accept, or press 2 to send to voice mail". I can press 1, 2... 11111111, 222222222, it doesn't matter. Ooma never passes the keytones, so it goes to voice mail. If I answer on my cell, work, or any other phone I have tied to GV, I can take the call. A couple questions - 1 - is Ooma aware of this and 2 - when does ooma plan to fix this?

I've never had to ask for support in my 2 years of owning Ooma. I hope there's a positive response to this, because if there isn't I don't know what I will do. I've come to rely on GV and Ooma. I don't like being shut out of a service I use.

BTW, I know this is a suggestion, but I'll just throw it in here. Ooma should make it a basic option for use to pass a GV number as our outbound caller ID. YOu could easily verify that the number actually belonged to the Ooma user by requesting a PIN when you change the outbound caller ID.
#64558 by southsound
Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:34 am
I don't know if you are using ooma's Google Voice Extensions or just naked GV, but if the latter, I can tell you that it should be working. I also use GV and chose not to use GVE. I have call presentation turned on so my messages go to my GV voicemail. Every call that comes in on my GV number requires the "press 1" and it seems to work just fine for us. As a test, try calling your ooma (not GV) number from your cell phone and listen when you press a digit on your ooma phone - it may be a matter of the phone connected to the ooma system not sending the DTMF tone for a long enough period for GV to understand it. If that is the case, try a different phone plugged into your ooma and see if that helps.
#64561 by Dead_Cow
Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:55 am
Hey southsound,

No, I'm not a premier member so I have no option to use GVE (from what I read, which I may not be understanding properly, I couldn't use GVE without a Telo anyhow (which I don't have)).

Anyhow, as I stated, if something isn't being properly interpreted, it's changed recently, and it ONLY happens on my Ooma handset. I've used it for quite some time (since GV went through it's first beta run). My handset hasn't changed. I guess I can try resetting my Ooma device, but I really don't think it's that (since I do reset regularly, but not since this started).

I don't know if the fact that you have OP (and therefore access to the built in GVE extensions) makes it work for you, but something has changed, and my thread on the GV help forum pointed fingers at Ooma. I have a feeling that I won't get this resolved, but I also figured I'd put it out there.

I'll also try your suggestion about testing the tones.
Last edited by Dead_Cow on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
#64571 by southsound
Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:45 am
I no longer have my ooma hub and now use just the Telo - but even with the hub I chose to use GV as I always have - naked. Maybe another hub / GV user can chime in since I no longer have a way to test your configuration. I don't think there have been any recent updated to the hub firmware, so I'm curious as to the results of your test and others who are using GV as you do.
#64595 by bbmex63
Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:52 pm
Hi Southsound and Dead_Cow,

I can also confirm that the functionality is broken. I have the original Ooma hub and a subscriber of the Premier service. I press 1 several times and it never takes my answer. It eventually delivers the call to voice-mail. I've been so frustrated lately I started looking for an alternative phone service. This whole time I thought it was just my network since no one else posted anything about it.

I'm thinking they possibly disabled the functionality on purpose. Why wouldn't they? The first thing I did was look up the cost to upgrade to the Telo. Maybe Google made a change on their end? All in all I don't expect Ooma to fix it since their main focus is on the Telo device.

Hopefully they'll prove me wrong. Let me know if you guys need anymore info on my setup and/or find a fix.

Regards,
bbmex63 / Ben
#64598 by bbmex63
Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:10 pm
On the phone with support right now concerning the issue. I'm interested to see what their response is going to be....

1) Sorry, we'll see if we can fix it
OR
2) We don't support Google voice with the original hub only with Telo. As a result, we cannot provide support for the error you're experiencing.

I'll report back and let you know what I find out.

Cheers! :D
#64599 by Dead_Cow
Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:11 pm
bbmex,

I rebooted the Ooma hub and guess what? It updated it's firmware, and everything is OK now. My hub is on the perimeter of my network (Modem > Ooma > Router) if yours in inside the network, maybe move it out long enough to upgrade it.

Jonathan
#64600 by southsound
Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:13 pm
Really strange - ooma would have no reason to intentionally disable the ability of the system from passing outgoing DTMF - in fact, it is required when logging into my online broker by phone, accessing my bank information, and many other everyday functions. Outgoing DTMF has always worked in the past so if it is not working now I would expect ooma to want to fix it PDQ. Your hub has no way of knowing the source of the call so they aren't targeting GV customers by design.

Are either of you able to reach other online services that use a menu system?
#64601 by southsound
Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:14 pm
Dead_Cow wrote:bbmex,

I rebooted the Ooma hub and guess what? It updated it's firmware, and everything is OK now. My hub is on the perimeter of my network (Modem > Ooma > Router) if yours in inside the network, maybe move it out long enough to upgrade it.

Jonathan

This is great news. Maybe it was just a corruption that rebooting fixed.
#64602 by bbmex63
Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:16 pm
Dead_Cow,

Thanks for the heads up. Mine is currently inside the network. I'll move it out as you suggest and see if it upgrades the firmware. Hopefully this will solve other issues as well. Can anyone report the latest firmware on the hub for verification purposes?

Thanks Southsound for the clarification. You can chalk my statements up to Liberal paranoia. Ha, I least I can admit it.

Cheers,
bbmex63