Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#64402 by stencil
Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:06 pm
So we had an electrical storm in July that fried the Home port on our Ooma Hub. And of course our 1 Year warrantee had expired in June and Ooma told me I was out of luck. In order to not have to buy a new Hub I moved it behind my router.

So the problem is, how can I access my Ooma Setup when the Home port is broken? Does anyone have a trick in order to do this? If I could just get a static IP address set up on the Hub then I would be able to set up QOS and maybe my call quality wouldn't be so bad. Can anyone provide any help? Thanks!

BTW, yes the Ooma was plugged into a surge protector so no snarky comments please. Thanks again.
#64492 by stevepierce
Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:42 am
Your home insurance will cover your fried Ooma though the deductible maybe more than the Ooma.

I have asked Ooma this question before, can we login to the Ooma device without plugging into the Home port and so far the answer is always, NO.

- Steve
#64502 by highq
Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:31 pm
stevepierce wrote:I have asked Ooma this question before, can we login to the Ooma device without plugging into the Home port and so far the answer is always, NO.

Well, that's the wrong answer.

The answer should be "ONCE", as in, once you have logged in over the Home port, and set up forwarding of port 80 to 127.27.35.1, thereafter you can point a browser to the Ooma's IP address on its Internet Ethernet connection and you effectively reach setup.ooma.com.

Of course, this won't help the OP, who can't access that Home port even ONCE...
#64548 by stencil
Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:53 am
Tommies, the reason I want to get to the Setup page is so that I can assign a static IP address to the Ooma. If I can do that, then I can set up QoS on my router to give the Ooma priority. That should hopefully improve my voice quality, which has not been as good ever since I had to move the Hub behind the router.

Steve, thanks for the idea but as you said my deductible will not cover the cost.

Highq, that's a great tip. I wish I had heard of it before the incident!
#64550 by murphy
Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:16 am
See if your router has the capability to reserve an IP address based on the MAC address of the device to be connected. The MAC address of the WAN port is one higher than the MAC address on the label.