Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#64281 by jds580s
Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:00 am
I'm currently going through an overly difficult porting process and wanted to see if one of the mods might be able to give me some insight into it.

I'm trying to port my AT&T land line number (I've had it for about 8 years) to ooma. I don't have DSL on the line so I thought it would be an easy process.

What's happened so far:
1. I initiated the port on August 4th
2. My LOA was verified on August 6th and I was assigned an estimated completion date of August 25th
3. I waited patiently until the 25th, and when it arrived I still didn't have a "scheduled for completion" date
4. I called in and my estimated completion date was moved to August 30th and was told to wait a few days then call back
5. On the 30th I still wasn't "scheduled for completion" so I called in again and was told to call back tomorrow
6. I called back the next day and was told to no change yet, just keep checking status online
7. Later that day I saw that I finally received a "scheduled for completion" date of the 7th (about a week out) so I patiently waited again
8. On the 7th my AT&T phone line went nuts ringing but no-one was there all day long. I assumed this was an automated call from ooma to check and see if the number was being sent to them yet so I was happy that things where happening, however by the end of the day the number was still with AT&T. I called and was told to wait and call back tomorrow.
9. The next day phones still ringing briefly all day long. Called back in and told to call in after 5pm PST.
10. Online my account was updated to "ACTION REQUIRED: Your porting request requires special handling. Please call" so after 5pm PST I called in and was told to call the next day (today).
11. Called in again this morning and was told to call back next Tuesday.

This was about as much as I could put up with. The phone CS reps are polite but they don't seem to have any information other than their script. They all say the same thing.
They repeat back my concern, then say "We are looking into it please call back ______". Which is more like being brushed off than actual customer service.
I asked to speak with a member of the porting team or the level 3 engineer that she was speaking with while putting me on hold. But was told they don't talk to customers.

I totally accept that some number ports might just be more difficult than others and am willing to wait, but I would like a reasonable ETA and simply want to hear from someone who is actually looking into the situation not just reading from a screen.

Thanks!
#64306 by scargo
Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:03 pm
It took about 15 days to port my number from AT&T. It should not take longer. Have you tried hooking up your phone to the
Ooma Telo. I didn't get notified until the day after it was due to be done. But the AT&T line acted funny too and I went out and disconnected it from their box and hooked it up to ooma. OOma has a different dial tone. Lastly when you call CS ask to speak to a supervisor or manager and be firm about it. Don't accept excuses or the run around because you need answers. You didn't buy the ooma telo so it could just collect dust did you?
#64319 by jds580s
Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:43 pm
Today I placed a CS call, emailed loa@ooma.com, and posted this thread. I don't know who to thank but the port went through about an hour ago.

In case anyone else is looking for a point of reference my ATT to Ooma port took 36 days. It completed 15 days after the estimated completion date and 6 days after the scheduled completion date.
#64347 by nitsudima
Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:58 am
Congratulations on getting your port completed! I'm still waiting on mine, initiated in late July. There are some special circumstances involving my port (Verizon service was purchased by Frontier), but the lack of communication from Ooma has been frustrating. I received some encouragement about a week ago from a very helpful Ooma rep via email, but it was just that -- encouragement that things were working, no real dates or progress. I'd love a simple "We know it's been 6 weeks since your request, here's what's happened so far and here's what we're still waiting on" email instead of the "check the porting status web page for updates" reply since the porting status page has not changed in 4 weeks.

Hopefully soon. I'm looking forward to going all-Ooma, but as it is now I'm watching my free Premiere trial tick away without being able to fully utilize it and still paying for my landline.
#64349 by nibes
Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:12 am
In the "for what it's worth" category, I am in the waiting mode also. I called AT&T and changed my service to the cheapest, basic rate and use my Ooma handset for anything other than local, or incoming calls. It's not ideal, but better than the high priced plan I was using with AT&T.
The biggest irritant, which is actually kind of amusing, is that called ID obviously works as always on my AT&T phone, but everything on Ooma is "Unknown Caller".
#64352 by lbmofo
Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:37 am
nibes wrote:The biggest irritant, which is actually kind of amusing, is that called ID obviously works as always on my AT&T phone, but everything on Ooma is "Unknown Caller".

You must be in landline integration mode. In this mode, the callerid problem does happen for some. This problem will go away once you are standalone (port complete and you remove the landline connection from the wall port).
#64829 by nibes
Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:01 am
So - here we go. Today is the day my porting was scheduled for completion. I signed into my account, and now the date is September 22. No other notice from Ooma - very touchy feely. Check your account or don't learn anything. An email would be nice and a nice touch from "Customer Service".