Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#64316 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:21 pm
stevepierce wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Could you try a totally different carrier for the phone that's leaving the GV VM so you can call back to test?

Yes we have tested multiple carriers. AT&T POTS, AT&T 3G, Comcast, Cavalier, Qwest DSL, Qwest POTS, Verizon 3G and T-Mobile GSM. All have the exact same problem.

If you use Google Voice Call feature to connect an Ooma phone to one of these other carriers, the Ooma user can not hear any voice traffic but can hear touch tones sent by the far end of the call.

- Steve

This is really weird, maybe the problem is specific to where you ooma is; ooma's carrier in your location.
#64324 by stevepierce
Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:31 pm
Working with an Ooma tech this evening we finally got to do some actual testing.

We added a second line to the Ooma account and it worked.

Then tested with primary line and it failed.

So we deleted the primary line and the second line number was configured as the primary.

Rebooted the Ooma and success, still works.

Of course I need to now use the new number but since I am using GV I don't really care that my Ooma number changed.

Not sure what this tells us, but it works for me. Hopefully Ooma will do more testing, I am more than happy to help work through the permutations to see if we can figure out why this was failing.

- Steve
#64325 by stevepierce
Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:41 pm
We added back the original Ooma number this time as a secondary number. Ran the test, it failed.

Switched back to the new Primary, it works.

So apparently the failure has something to do with the number pool.

Both numbers are in the 734 area code and local to Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti.

Ooma, if there is anything else I can do to help hunt this problem down, please let me know.

- Steve
#64354 by stevepierce
Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:52 am
I think you have identified the problem. Both numbers I was using were assigned by Ooma and not ported.

The number that did not work was 734-448 from Allegiance
http://phones.whitepages.com/734-448
Current Telephone Company:
XO Communications, Inc.
Original Telephone Company:
Allegiance Telecom Of Michigan Inc.
Original Telephone Company Type:
Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC)
Estimated City:
Ypsilanti
Estimated Region:
Michigan
Estimated Postal Code:
Equipment Location Code:
SFLDMIDODS0

The number that did work was 734-445 was from XO
http://phones.whitepages.com/734-445

Caller ID: OOMA, Inc
Current Telephone Company: XO Communications, Inc
Original Telephone Company:
Xo Michigan Inc.
Original Telephone Company Type:
Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC)
Estimated City:
Ypsilanti
Estimated Region:
Michigan
Estimated Postal Code:
Equipment Location Code:
SFLDMIWKDS0

The differences between the two is the non-working number does not report a Working Caller ID name and the Equipment code is different. It is appears that the non working 734-448 number did not get correctly added and thus calls can't be completed.

To get detailed info on your phone number go to http://tnid.org/
To quickly look up in use this link and replace the #'s with your number http://tnid.org/lookup/734445####/
#64362 by stevepierce
Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:40 am
Sadly, this keeps getting worse.

My new number port came over this morning. Guess what? Google Voice users can no longer call me on my ported number. Verizon and AT&T can call just fine.

Ooma says wait 24 hours for the port to complete.

- Steve
#64370 by rysand
Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:10 am
I have this to add...about a month ago I noticed this issue and happened to have a virtual number in place for family in Atlanta to call me. I activated google voice on this number (Ooman provided number) and it worked so I called it good. It wasnt until this week that it stopped working. When I tried to activate my 'main' number (ported from Vonage) it still does not work.

Will try again later today.
#64490 by stevepierce
Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:32 am
Ported number now works and Google Voice users can call me on my ported number.

The problem appears to be that sometimes the number does not come over correctly ported and thus Google cannot complete the call.

When Google looked at the problem, they said that the records for the non-working numbers were incomplete. Google said Ooma needs to make sure that the ported numbers come over correctly. Google says they have an easy way to test a ported number.