Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#64109 by stevepierce
Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:03 pm
UPDATE 9/12/2010: Problem can be fixed by Ooma.

The problem is Ooma and an incomplete porting of certain numbers. This affects numbers provided by Ooma as well as numbers that are ported from other carriers.

There is an Ooma ticket about this problem you can reference with Ooma if you call them CS-67744.

If you were assigned an Ooma phone number and are experiencing this problem, have Ooma add a second number in a completely different area and state to your account for testing or change the primary number to a new number and then test.

- Steve
-----------------------------

Ooma cannot complete a call that was originated via Google Voice.

The Google Voice Call feature has worked fine in the last several weeks with Ooma, so this problem is new and started happening within the last 72 hours. This problem is similar to the Comcast connection problem but now seems to be related to Google Voice calls.

I try to place calls to a variety of numbers using the Call feature in Google Voice. It rings 4 to 5 times and then I hear nothing.

Upon further testing we have learned that the person answering the call can can hear me, but I cannot hear them.

This problem is reproducible.

If I direct dial the call with Ooma, it works, the call goes through.

if I use Google Voice to call a number through a non-Ooma land line, the call works fine.

My Ooma number is 734-448-xxxx

I have opened a ticket with Ooma, any help is greatly appreciated.

- Steve
Last edited by stevepierce on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
#64113 by stevepierce
Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:13 pm
More background.

While I cannot hear the person I am calling, if that person presses a button on their phone, I can hear the tone clearly.

That is bizarre, tones come across but not voice traffic.

- Steve
#64139 by Diana
Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:27 pm
I'm having this same problem. I called support and I was told that since I'm not subscribed to Premier, Google Voice won't work with Ooma. It did work until just about 2 days ago! Support said that must have been a glitch that it worked!

Are you subscribed to Premier?

Have you heard back about your ticket?
#64144 by cylooma
Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:43 pm
Hmm... I have no problem calling from Google voice to my Ooma number. I also had my friend called my Ooma number from his Google voice and he didn't have any problems. We could talk to each other just fine. Not sure if location has anything to do with the issue you're having. My friend is calling from N. Cal, and I live in S. Cal. It could be a call routing issue however.
#64146 by stevepierce
Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:12 pm
Diana wrote:I'm having this same problem. I called support and I was told that since I'm not subscribed to Premier, Google Voice won't work with Ooma. It did work until just about 2 days ago! Support said that must have been a glitch that it worked!

I am Premiere and no one has gotten back to me. They are wrong about not supported. This is a routing carrier problem and you are right, it seemed to stop working two days ago.
#64147 by stevepierce
Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:25 pm
cylooma wrote:Hmm... I have no problem calling from Google voice to my Ooma number. I also had my friend called my Ooma number from his Google voice and he didn't have any problems. We could talk to each other just fine. Not sure if location has anything to do with the issue you're having. My friend is calling from N. Cal, and I live in S. Cal. It could be a call routing issue however.

Don't call from Google Voice.

Try this.

Using a land line, cell or other non-Ooma line, call your Google Voice number and leave a message.

Now login to Google Voice and add your Ooma line as a Phone, under Settings, Phone. You will have to verify the number in order for Google Voice to use the Ooma number.

Ok, now that you have added the number. Go to Google Voice and pick up the message you just left. In Google voice you have the ability to Call back someone that called you. Have Google Voice call you back on your Ooma line. What will happen is when you return a call in Google Voice, it first will ring your Ooma line. Then when you pick up the phone, Google Voice will then call the number of the voicemail which would be the landline you used to leave a message.

The person on the other answers and your call is connected. Well that is what is supposed to happen.

What is happening when the call connects the other end can hear you but you can't hear them. If the far end presses a number on a touch tone, you can hear the tone, but you can't hear the voice.

This used to work up until a couple of days ago and has now stopped working.

This has nothing to do with the Premier add-on for Google Voice from Ooma. The problem is likely similar to the Comcast connection problem Ooma had a couple of weeks ago when connecting to Comcast VoIP numbers.

This is similar in that you are using Google VoIP to complete the call and the Ooma device is not recognizing the call has been answered.

Hope this helps, give it a try and let me know if it works or fails for you.

- Steve
#64154 by rysand
Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:41 am
I have been using Google voice to make calls for several months to my Ooma line as I work from home and don’t want clients to have my direct phone line. I have Google voice set to ring my home during business hours. I can also forward to the office as needed. I can confirm this is a recent issue as I use it every day, many times a day. I tried to enable GVE and use Google voice as my outbound number but that does not seem to work.

This kind of reminds me when I enabled Google voice voicemail with my Motorola droid x. voice mails were all 'blank'. a quick search revealed a common issue (Google blames Verizon) so i gave up on that.

Side not I am a premier customer and as a test, I added my uncle who uses Vonage (my old provider) and Google voice went 3 for 3. If no resolution soon, I will have to go back to Vonage. :(
#64172 by stevepierce
Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:01 am
lbmofo wrote:What's wrong with using naked GV?

I don't know what you mean by Naked GV.

The problem is when you use the Call Back feature of Google Voice, Ooma users cannot hear the far end of the call.

This worked up until last week but something broke it over the Labor Day weekend

Strangely, if the far end of the call presses a touch tone button, the Ooma person can hear the tone, just not voice.

We have tested this with different carriers and two different Ooma devices a Telo and Hub. We have also used two different ISP, Comcast and a T1 line from Cavalier.

Problem occurs in all instances.

So it is a reproducible problem.

Sadly Ooma email support has been lacking. They didn't open a ticket and wasted 24 hours sending the same message, "I understand you are having problems with Goolge Voice Extensions. have you enabled/disabled GVE."

The problem is not with Google Voice Extensions. Worse, Ooma email support didn't open a ticket or log the call so I just spent 51 minutes on support redescribing the problem to three different techs.

One tech kept insisting we change the QoS. I said we don't have any devices behind the home port. He said it doesn't matter. I said it does and referred him to the QoS KB article
https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... ty-service

It clearly says
"It is important to install the Ooma Hub or Telo directly behind your Internet modem ("MODEM" or "TO INTERNET" port) and before any devices ("HOME" or "HOME NETWORK" port) that can generate traffic so that ooma can intelligently prioritize voice traffic over other traffic."

He then wanted me to change the upstream QoS to '0' (zero). He said he had to make this change before he can open a ticket.

We don't have this configuration. He responds "Please Hold" and transfers me to to a tier two tech.

Finally got a ticket number, lets see if they can make any sense of this and reproduce the problem.

- Steve
#64173 by stevepierce
Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Diana wrote:I'm having this same problem. I called support and I was told that since I'm not subscribed to Premier, Google Voice won't work with Ooma. It did work until just about 2 days ago! Support said that must have been a glitch that it worked!

Diana,

Who is your ISP?
What Ooma device to you have?
Do you have anything plugged into your Home port on the back of the Ooma?

- Steve