Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#4191 by johane
Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:49 am
Today is my "go live" date on my port. However, instead of a port, my old number was disconnected! My Ooma number is still active.

Any ideas of what is going on here. Should I call Ooma or AT&T? Is this common?

This is a really big problem for me.

I sent an e-mail to the help support line - how long should I expect to wait before I get a reply.
#4192 by trim81
Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:56 am
johane wrote:Today is my "go live" date on my port. However, instead of a port, my old number was disconnected! My Ooma number is still active.

I sent an e-mail to the help support line - how long should I expect to wait before I get a reply.

This is normal procedure.. Wait from now until 10pm and Ooma should terminate the port on their end.

Porting is a 2 step process
#4193 by johane
Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:59 am
trim81 wrote:
johane wrote:Today is my "go live" date on my port. However, instead of a port, my old number was disconnected! My Ooma number is still active.

This is normal procedure.. Wait from now until 10pm and Ooma should terminate the port on their end.

Porting is a 2 step process

OK. Well that makes me feel better.

I just checked the porting document - there wasn't any indication that there would be a period where my old number would no longer be functioning.
#4194 by trim81
Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:03 am
The way porting works is: your old carrier disconnects the line, then your new carrier terminates the port on their end (taking over your line)

In the mean time, ATT dropped your line, that is why you get the disconnected message

Please update when the port completes for data points.

PS- one of my number suppposed to port today as well, but the ATT landline is still ringin... So be glad your ahead of me on the port
#4196 by jmassimilla
Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:09 am

You should also get an email from Ooma when the port completes and your number will be updated in the lounge. My port completed on Friday and it went very smooth.
#4197 by johane
Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:49 am
Thanks everybody. I'm sorry that I sounded so alarmist in my post title and contents. I should've searched the forums before I posted.

Ooma should really add this to their porting documentation - as I would not have gotten so worried if my expectations had been set properly.

I really appreciate this forum...
#4211 by johane
Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:20 pm
The port has completed!

Here is timeline:
Feb 9th: Requested Port from Ooma - paid for "Premier"
Feb 10th: E-mailed the required forms
Feb 14th: Called to check status. Waited 20 minutes for customer service rep. The rep says they never received the port request
Feb 16th: Resent the required forms. Asked to get confirmation
Feb 18th(or so): Called to check. Again a long wait. The rep says they did not receive the port request. In fact, it appears as if all my e-mails to loa@ooma.com were being dropped. So, I e-mailed the rep directly.
Feb 23: Received validation of my port request from Ooma. The port is scheduled for the week of 3/10/09
Mar 3: Received final date confirmation of port - scheduled for 3/09/09.
Mar 9:
8:30AM: Old line goes dead. When you call it, it says: "Line has been disconnected". I call support, it is busy twice and then I get through, but I decide not to wait and instead post this message and e-mail support. (I have not received reply to my support e-mail)
2:50PM: E-mail from Ooma indicating that my account has changed number to my old number
2:52PM: I try my old number, I get a weird message about needing a password. I try it again, now I go right through to voicemail.
3:00PM: I try my old number, now it rings and works!
4:16PM: I get another e-mail that confirms that the Ooma port process has completed.
4:45PM. I call AT&T to check in with them. I wait on hold for 20 minutes. :( And then they tell me I don't need to call after a port. The port automatically cancels the line.

That's the end of my timeline.

Actually, I have been very happy with my Ooma. The call quality has been very good. There have been hickups, but I'm willing to forgive that for the price.

Yes, if you are trying to save as much money as possible - consider not doing the port. It will cost you another month (maybe 1.5 months) or service on your old phone and the $40...

And good riddance to AT&T!