Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#63578 by jhphone
Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:26 pm
The default LAN address for the Ooma Telo (and Hub?) is 172.27.35.1, so I checked Google for any interesting info.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22315503-Ooma-hub-trick
The address of the webserver on the Ooma hub is 172.27.35.1.
Edit 2 - Note this permits telnet access to your hub as well. I do not know the login or password to get access. I assume with telnet access it would be possible to look around the inside of the Ooma hub.

I don't understand the last point.

Does this mean the Ooma Setup page is open to the Internet, as the Telo has no ID/password ?

EDIT: this pertains to when the Ooma is connected to the modem, before any router.
#63608 by Davesworld
Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:58 pm
No, unless you deliberately set it to do so as many of us who run it behind our routers do. By default you cannot access the device through the internet side of the device, only the home port.
#87184 by Charles R
Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:56 pm
Why isn't the Telo interface password protected (or allow only certain IP addresses, etc)? I understand in most cases you can't access it via the Internet but with my installation it's possible. Simply enter the IP address and Telo's menu pops up! For anyone in the world to access and configure. It's nice to be able to check and or configure it without having to use the home port but I guess I'll have to disable port forwarding.
#87185 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:22 pm
Charles R wrote:Why isn't the Telo interface password protected (or allow only certain IP addresses, etc)? I understand in most cases you can't access it via the Internet but with my installation it's possible. Simply enter the IP address and Telo's menu pops up! For anyone in the world to access and configure. It's nice to be able to check and or configure it without having to use the home port but I guess I'll have to disable port forwarding.

Ooma provides port forwarding which is best for accessing an Ooma device connected to a router's LAN.
Many people use this way to access Ooma Setup.

An IP address must be reserved with a permanent lease in the router.

Next 172.27.35.1:80 is port forwarded.

The IP address that was assigned to the Ooma device, is the address is typed into a computer connected to the LAN side of the router. Example: http://192/186.0.128

For those worried about LAN security: If ports are port forwarded in the router for the Ooma device, or if the Ooma device's IP address is placed in router's DMZ, their is a security risk, except if you have Internet or Virus software, like Norton Internet security, with the Network Security Map enabled to set the Ooma device to a Trust Level of Restricted.
Before you access Ooma setup, you have to temporarily disable the Smart firewall.