Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#63520 by NginUS
Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:00 pm
I just discovered the previously-overlooked detail stating that the Ooma service I purchased under the impression that I was buying unlimited calling indeed is not what I thought I was buying.

Apparently business use is prohibited, as are calls amounting to more than 5000 minutes a month.
Talk about deceptive marketing, whew!

Although I don't expect to be using anywhere near that many minutes in a month, I do have a desire to secure legitimate licensing prior to placing a Yellow Pages ad, and am needing to see what the details would be should I decide to keep using Ooma in my business endeavours.

Particularly, I'd like to know if when changing my service type, I'll be required to pay recurring fees when my usage is within the range considered typical of residential use, or only when my stats reach a certain threshhold.

I'm terribly dissappointed in this discovery, as the simplicity of not having yet another recurring anything to keep track of was the selling point in the first place, now even worse I have to spend time researching telephone service after having been led to believe that problem had already been solved.

Thanks for the kick to the teeth with your dang fine print, Ooma.
Apparently there's no 'Do no evil' signage hanging on any of your walls.

First my fax didn't work, and cost me 40-some hours plus another 5 in customer service hell, over the course of a couple months to make that work.
Now I learn you've deceptively suckered me into an agreement that fails to solve the problem it was employed to solve.
#63523 by lbmofo
Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Currently, ooma is not for commerical use period; only for residential use. My guess is that you probably saw "for residential use only" writing on the box before you got ooma right?

I don't know of a company that doesn't have a 5000 minute or like limit for residential use; and those other guys charge a lot a month to boot.

http://www.comcast.net/residential/voiceAUP/

http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp

http://www.qwest.com/residential/ld/index_oor.html
#63529 by southsound
Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:41 pm
NginUS wrote:I just discovered the previously-overlooked detail stating that the Ooma service I purchased under the impression that I was buying unlimited calling indeed is not what I thought I was buying.

Apparently business use is prohibited, as are calls amounting to more than 5000 minutes a month.
Talk about deceptive marketing, whew!

Although I don't expect to be using anywhere near that many minutes in a month, I do have a desire to secure legitimate licensing prior to placing a Yellow Pages ad, and am needing to see what the details would be should I decide to keep using Ooma in my business endeavours.

Particularly, I'd like to know if when changing my service type, I'll be required to pay recurring fees when my usage is within the range considered typical of residential use, or only when my stats reach a certain threshhold.

I'm terribly dissappointed in this discovery, as the simplicity of not having yet another recurring anything to keep track of was the selling point in the first place, now even worse I have to spend time researching telephone service after having been led to believe that problem had already been solved.

Thanks for the kick to the teeth with your dang fine print, Ooma.
Apparently there's no 'Do no evil' signage hanging on any of your walls.

First my fax didn't work, and cost me 40-some hours plus another 5 in customer service hell, over the course of a couple months to make that work.
Now I learn you've deceptively suckered me into an agreement that fails to solve the problem it was employed to solve.

What ever happened to taking personal responsibility for your decision? My Telo box says some interesting things - In print that is the same font and size as where it says One-year limited warranty and high-speed inernet service required, it plainly says, "Residential use only" which should give a person a clue that business use is not supported. However, several of the folks from ooma have said publicly on this forum that limited home business use is just fine. You have already discovered this and have said that you don't intend to go anywhere near that. You also seem to have missed the (somewhat smaller print) warning that Alarms and other systems may not be compatible. How you could spend 40 plus hours plus another 5 with customer service probably explains things. You might just not be cut out for ooma or for VoIP in general. I hope that you are within the return period because I think you would be happier with something else.

So did you have something we could help with or did you just want to blow off steam? After all, this is a user forum and none of us are able to change ooma policy. If you just needed to talk about what makes you sad, let me refer you to an awesome Geico commercial about why Drill Sergeants make bad therapists.
#63532 by NginUS
Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:51 pm
lbmofo wrote:My guess is that you probably saw "for residential use only" writing on the box before you got ooma right?

Pretty much.

When I purchased my first Hub/Scout at BestBuy, I didn't see or read the relevant TOS detail.
This time it was a new Telo- an eBay purchase, and I saw it on the box when it arrived.
#63934 by nn5i
Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:52 am
I bought mine from Amazon, and I had completed the purchase, including paying, long before I ever had a chance to set eyes on the box. But I use mine only residentially, so it doesn't matter.

Still, those posters who assume every buyer has a chance to read the box, assume wrong.
#63940 by lbmofo
Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:34 pm
Even if one buys from Amazon, the item descriptions mostly contained enough info:

Ooma Core VoIP Phone System: http://amzn.com/B001C1MGKI

"Intended for residential use only"

Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service: http://amzn.com/B002O3W4LE

"Just pay applicable taxes and fees"
"The Ooma Telo allows you to enjoy free home phone service"

ooma Hub - VoIP Phone Device with No Monthly Phone Service Bills: http://amzn.com/B0010WG2H2

"Home phone" or "home phones" appear many times.

Recurring tax is not mentioned though.
#63947 by nn5i
Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:40 pm
Ibm... (I refuse to type that whole name), all that you say is true. Anyone can visit the Amazon site, and probably many others, and learn of the 5000-minute-per-month limit, which could conceivably be a concern for some kinds of business (but not for most small businesses).

That limit, however, is the only substantive limit stated. To say that a thing is "intended for home use" or "marketed for home service" is not the same as saying "not for business use" any more than "breakfast cereal" on a box of Wheaties would imply you couldn't eat it for lunch. And there's no reason to think that Ooma intends to enforce such a restriction anyhow. How could they? They can't monitor the conversations under any circumstances or for any reason at all, except to track technical problems, and maybe not for that either; the criminal penalties for other monitoring are severe.

Perhaps the OP was a little incautious, eh? the 5000-minute-per-month restriction is rather easily discoverable, as you point out, though it's nowhere stated on the Telo packaging.

But the package does say how to find out what the limit is -- refers you to the Ooma web site. It ought to state the limit, which is a generous one and would probably promote sales instead of inhibiting them.

All in all, I agree with your real thesis, which is that Ooma (when working correctly) is an incredible deal unmatched by anything else, and the sales information is sufficiently candid and substantially complete. I think the OP actually has no legitimate gripe.