Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#63439 by DanCallies
Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:44 am
I've had Ooma since last year, and think the services are spectacular. I've got a HUB and a SCOUT hooked up and my problems are minimal (I'll describe at the end of this post if anyone would like to address.) My hold up right now is the 'instant second line.' If I choose a number for my instant second line, am I obligated to keep it? If I want to change it later or discard it alltogether is that simple, difficult, or are there any related charges? I'm under the belief that if something is not broken you should not fix it, and I'm pleased with my service and don't want unexpected changes in the event that I'm unhappy with their results. Any information would be great!

For my service, my current concerns are:
My caller ID doubles most incoming calls, showing a missed call for answered calls and two missed calls for actually missed calls. (This seems to have started with the SCOUT hooked up, not sure if its actually related.)
I used to have a nextel cellular phone, and for some reason the home caller ID would not come through to just that phone.
The one day outage was disruptive but not catastrophic, as all of my outgoing calls were fine.
On lengthy calls keypress tones will develop in the background of the calls (these seem to be predecessors to an electronic failure, as on one call the caller was suddenly routed to voicemail in the middle of a 40 minute connection.)

Kudo's to Ooma for these:
My SCOUT has worked great, I love the fact that I can answer second incoming calls with 'flash' or someone else can answer on phones connected to the other port.
I've reverse plummed the phone lines through the house (disconnecting all lines from the phone company) and use the inside wiring to have the SCOUT on one end of the house while the HUB is in my office, and they work great!

Keep up the good work Ooma, I'm an enthusiastic supporter!
#63442 by murphy
Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:10 am
The instant second line feature does not involve a second number. It does require Premier service and a scout.
With the scout shared with the hub, both the hub phone and the scout phone will ring on the first incoming call.
You can answer the call on either. Assume the first call is answered on the hub. A second incoming call on the same phone number will ring the scout and it can be answered there. You now have two calls in progress using the same phone number.
That is what the instant second line is all about. Alternatively after the first call has come in and is in progress on the hub you can pick up the phone connected to the scout and place a second call. Again both calls are using the same phone number.

I have two scouts. One is in the shared pool and provides the instant second line. The other scout is a personal scout and has my second phone number assigned to it.
#63486 by DanCallies
Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:56 am
Thanks Murphy,

I have premium service, and the dashboard keeps indicating that my setup is 'incomplete.' It still wants me to choose a second number. I'm wondering, if I choose a number and want to change it later, how complicated will that be?

And while I've got ya on the line, you said your second number is assigned to a scout, is that the only place it rings? And does the second scout give you primary line access as well as call waiting on that other number? Could I get another scout, use it for the second number only, then keep my current scout "as is" and have my primary number work through both the hub and my original scout? Just wondering. I love the system and am looking to explore more options.

Thanks Murphy!

Dan
#63487 by murphy
Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:11 am
DanCallies wrote:Thanks Murphy,

I have premium service, and the dashboard keeps indicating that my setup is 'incomplete.' It still wants me to choose a second number. I'm wondering, if I choose a number and want to change it later, how complicated will that be?

And while I've got ya on the line, you said your second number is assigned to a scout, is that the only place it rings? And does the second scout give you primary line access as well as call waiting on that other number? Could I get another scout, use it for the second number only, then keep my current scout "as is" and have my primary number work through both the hub and my original scout? Just wondering. I love the system and am looking to explore more options.

Thanks Murphy!

Dan

Don't choose a second number until you are sure it is one that you want. It costs $19.99 to change a number.
My second number only rings on the personal scout.

Everything you said is correct.
You can make a call using the personal scout and have it send the primary caller ID by preceding the called phone number with **0.

You can also make a call from the hub or the shared scout and have it send the caller ID for the second number by preceding the called phone number with **1.
#63629 by scg
Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:09 pm
murphy wrote:The instant second line feature does not involve a second number. It does require Premier service and a scout.
With the scout shared with the hub, both the hub phone and the scout phone will ring on the first incoming call.
You can answer the call on either. Assume the first call is answered on the hub. A second incoming call on the same phone number will ring the scout and it can be answered there. You now have two calls in progress using the same phone number.
That is what the instant second line is all about. Alternatively after the first call has come in and is in progress on the hub you can pick up the phone connected to the scout and place a second call. Again both calls are using the same phone number.

I have two scouts. One is in the shared pool and provides the instant second line. The other scout is a personal scout and has my second phone number assigned to it.

I only have one (personal) scout. If someone was on the hub line, can I still use the shared number as my outgoing call ID by tapping **0 on the scout line?
#63644 by murphy
Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:23 am
scg wrote:I only have one (personal) scout. If someone was on the hub line, can I still use the shared number as my outgoing call ID by tapping **0 on the scout line?

Yes.