Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#63267 by nkaushal94
Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:05 pm
Hello all,

I purchased my Ooma Hub with scout back in November for about $169 from newegg. I recently ported my number over from Comcast about a month ago after testing Ooma out as a spare phone line. I read that there is a 2 year extended warranty for $70. Do you guys think it is worth it? I am considering it because even if I purchase the warranty, I will break even by February and have peace of mind for an additional 2 years.

Also, are there any restrictions on the warranty. For example, i know that third party warranties often times state that they only allow one replacement in case of a malfunction.
Thanks in advance.
#63362 by allo
Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:07 pm
nkaushal94 wrote:Hello all,

I purchased my Ooma Hub with scout back in November for about $169 from newegg. I recently ported my number over from Comcast about a month ago after testing Ooma out as a spare phone line. I read that there is a 2 year extended warranty for $70. Do you guys think it is worth it? I am considering it because even if I purchase the warranty, I will break even by February and have peace of mind for an additional 2 years.

Also, are there any restrictions on the warranty. For example, i know that third party warranties often times state that they only allow one replacement in case of a malfunction.
Thanks in advance.

Since it is a product used 24hours a day... chances are that something may go wrong within 3 years...
Now and then you read about one hub going bad after just one year!
The unit (hub) stays a little too warm all the time (not well ventilated) and that can cause a problem.
$70 - 2yr warranty may be a good idea!... it comes to a dime a day!
#63408 by nkaushal94
Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:16 pm
allo wrote:
nkaushal94 wrote:Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

Since it is a product used 24hours a day... chances are that something may go wrong within 3 years...
Now and then you read about one hub going bad after just one year!
The unit (hub) stays a little too warm all the time (not well ventilated) and that can cause a problem.
$70 - 2yr warranty may be a good idea!... it comes to a dime a day!

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking as well, looks like I'll get it before November.
#63456 by FreePhone
Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:50 pm
nkaushal94 wrote:I read that there is a 2 year extended warranty for $70. Do you guys think it is worth it?

No extended warranty is ever worth it. I know people will pop off about it being "cheap insurance" or "peace of mind" but, the reality is that companies make a ton of money from selling extended warranties because they rarely ever have to pay for warranty service. The odds of any product using the extended warranty is very slim because the service periods are usually very short.

You would be better off setting money aside for repair of the product than wasting your money on an extended warranty. And if the product needed repair in only a few years, then you probably shouldn't have bought it. Quality products cost more because they last longer.
#63581 by madurodave
Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:42 pm
I agree - extended warranties make the company money but cost the average consumer. If a company honestly thinks that their products will fail, they would either fix the issue before they got out there or charge more for the warranty. They don't issue extended warranties to lose money.