Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#63098 by joeed2
Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:33 am
I just bought an iPad and have Ooma mobile on it. However, the iPad only supports certain types of bluetooth headsets. The industry standard bluetooth cellphone headsets most people have lying around aren't supported on the iPad or iPod Touch, so I need to buy a new compatable headset.

Has anyone used Ooma mobile on an iPad, and can recommend a good bluetooth headset model? Real world experience would be appreciated, since I can already "google" a list of headsets are are "technically" compatable. I'd really like to hear from someone that has actually used a headset with an iPad or iPod Touch with Ooma mobile, and how well did it work for both you and the person on the other end of the line... good or bad.
#63111 by joeed2
Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:29 pm
Thank you. Yes, I have seen that post.

My question was more concerning if anyone is actually doing this in real life and can give me a make/model number of a working unit.

That post doesn't provide working real life examples of what to buy. I know there is a Sony unit that works, but only at Full Volume (with a $200 price tag), and there is a supposedly a Nokia model that works (with a $175 price tag).

I really want to see if someone here has a real life working example, before I pay that kind of money to discover it doesn't work.
#63112 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:40 pm
If you don't get any responses here, maybe you could walk into an AT&T store with your ipad and try out some of their stereo headsets with mic. Check it out yourself so you'd know what works best.
#63125 by Dennis P
Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:40 pm
AFAIK, A2DP is a one-way audio channel and cannot be used for two-way voice communication. Since the iPad only support the A2DP profile you cannot use it with the Ooma Mobile app. The way these A2DP stereo headsets with mics work is that they implement two profiles, one for A2DP (listening to music) and one for headset (talking on the phone) and auto switch between the two.
#63126 by southsound
Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:49 pm
I know this may be a little bit of a hassle in our BlueTooth connected world, but you can use a wired earset with microphone on both the iPod Touch and the iPad. My Touch has the same restriction for the handsfree profile as the iPad and I since it was a second generation device, it didn't even have the earbud/mic combination that comes with gen 3. I purchased the one from Wally World made by Apple - but while I was at the store they were closing out some Sony PSP earbuds with a built-in microphone for $8. I bought that one too. When I got home I tried both - and the Sony sounded better to my wife on the receiving end - and to me on the listening end. I took the Apple ones back. I don't use my Touch that much for phone calls, but when I need it, the earbuds work wonderfully!
#63170 by joeed2
Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:19 am
southsound wrote:they were closing out some Sony PSP earbuds with a built-in microphone for $8. the earbuds work wonderfully!

Did you get these? They have them instock at my Wallyworld for 20 bucks.

I don't mind getting wired.

#63194 by southsound
Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:13 am
joeed2 wrote:
southsound wrote:they were closing out some Sony PSP earbuds with a built-in microphone for $8. the earbuds work wonderfully!

Did you get these? They have them instock at my Wallyworld for 20 bucks.

I don't mind getting wired.

Those are the ones! They even come with a neat little case so you can keep them safe. At first when I tried them the audio quality was wonderful on the ear buds - but the mic seemed to not work. I packed them back in the blister they came in and thought I'd have to return them. Blinding thought came - I wonder if they come with the mute switch ON? I took them out again and sure enough - the little mute switch was keeping the mic from working. I'm glad I gave them a second shot. When I went back to return the Apple ones I checked and they had one more package so I bought a spare for another $8. The SKU is 711719858102 :P
#63794 by joeed2
Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:41 pm
It turns out I have a free option!

I was shopping around and saw the Apple store recommended wired headset with mic for the iPad. When I saw it I said to myself... "Hey, that looks exactly like the set that came included with my wife's iPhone 3GS. The one that is new in the box up on the top shelf in the closet. The one that has never been used". So, I went digging around the closet for the iPhone box I put up there almost a year ago. Bingo... Found the headset for the iPhone.

I plugged it into my iPad with 3G, fired up Ooma mobile, and started making phonecalls. The headset works great and even has controls to adjustable volume on the built-in remote with the mic.

So, I just converted my 3G iPad into an Ooma telephone. Awesome!

This is the set, if anyone is interested. It's wired, but works great. The part with the + - on it controls the volume and is a mic. It's not bluetooth, but in some ways I kind of like this better. I can also use it to listen to music with the iPod functionality.