Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#63066 by JPR
Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:02 am
I've already contacted the FCC and the California Attorney General's office about Ooma and their porting fees. Don't even ask me why a port would take three to four weeks as stated on their site.

First, from their web page.

Porting your number to Ooma
Overview
Number Porting allows you to transfer your phone number from your current home phone provider to Ooma. Porting normally carries a one-time processing charge of $39.99, but this charge is waived when you purchase an annual subscription to Ooma Premier. Porting is supported in most calling service areas. Check at https://www.ooma.com/port if your current phone number can be ported to Ooma.
Please note that it takes an average of three to four weeks to complete the porting process.

Now from their email.

Your porting date has been confirmed
Great news! Your carrier has confirmed the date that your number will be transferred to Ooma. Your date of transfer is 09-01-2010.
If you have not done so already, it is imperative that you review that the following information is correct and exactly matches your most current phone bill:
Phone Number to Port: xxxxxxxxxx
Carrier: xxx WIRELESS
Name on Phone Bill: xxxx xxxx
IMPORTANT: Any information that does not exactly match your most current phone bill will result in significant delays in the completion of your order. In addition, you will be responsible for change fees of up to $200 that may be levied by our carrier if your order needs to be changed, corrected or rescheduled within 72 hours of your port completing. PLEASE take a moment now to check and double check all information. If you have any concerns or have any corrections that need to be made, contact an Ooma customer support representative immediately.
#63133 by allo
Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:01 pm
JPR wrote:I've already contacted the FCC and the California Attorney General's office about Ooma and their porting fees. Don't even ask me why a port would take three to four weeks as stated on their site.

It is perfectly legal to charge a "Porting Fee" and $39 is in line with what most charge...
They tell you to make sure that the info you are submitting for the transfer is absolutely correct ... otherwise there may be a "Screw up fee" of up to $200 to correct that because it is time consuming if mistakes are made by You and they have to pay employees to correct manually your submitted request ...
As for the time it takes, it is not the fault of OOMA... All that Ooma does is request the transfer from the "bozos" you were with... and they are the ones who are dragging their feet... the complaint should be aimed at them!
... and by the way, short temper doesn't speed up anything.