Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#62961 by rebshalom
Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:36 am
My OOMA has lost power. I have changed the outle used on my surge protector but still nothing. All other devices on the surge protector are working fine. Any suggestions?
#63039 by FreePhone
Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:16 pm
Sounds like either your Ooma box has died or the power cord to the box is defective. Have you tried wiggling the cord at various places along the wire, including the plug at both ends?
#63048 by nn5i
Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:20 pm
FreePhone wrote:Sounds like either your Ooma box has died or the power cord to the box is defective. Have you tried wiggling the cord at various places along the wire, including the plug at both ends?

Either that, or the wall-wart power supply itself has failed internally. Neither kind of failure would be in any way unusual.
#63051 by FreePhone
Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:34 pm
nn5i wrote:
FreePhone wrote:Neither kind of failure would be in any way unusual.
Actually it would be very rare for the power adapter to fail.
#63057 by nn5i
Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:27 pm
FreePhone wrote:Actually it would be very rare for the power adapter to fail.

Not rare at all. I've seen many of them fail. They're usually pretty cheaply designed and cheaply built. I say that as an electrical design engineer who has dissected many failed wall warts.
#63063 by murphy
Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:30 am
nn5i wrote:
FreePhone wrote:Actually it would be very rare for the power adapter to fail.

Not rare at all. I've seen many of them fail. They're usually pretty cheaply designed and cheaply built. I say that as an electrical design engineer who has dissected many failed wall warts.

Agree. The failure that I usually see is an electrolytic capacitor bulges out the top due to internal pressure or the top actually tears on the pressure relief grooves and spills toxic goo out through the top.