Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#62431 by rlruggles
Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:19 pm
Please investigate sending calls to an alternate phone (like you do when DSL is down) during outages. Not a big problem but it would be nice
#62482 by searay61
Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:18 pm
I agree...the network should be "unavailable" while they work the problem...the calls just route to the backup. The way it is now, people call and the keep trying because it doesn't ring (so they think). Heck, throwing everything to voice mail would be better than this!

This should be a "no brainer" to have the calls going to the backup...at least we wouldn't be knocked out of the box like we are now.....what is the backup number for anyhow?
#62489 by murphy
Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:29 am
The problem with that is that this was not a universal outage. My phones worked fine all day. How do they determine who is working and who isn't?
#62493 by iamslick
Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:59 am
Apparently this was such a big outage, call forwarding did not even work. Calls I forwarded to a cell phone number terminated on the 2nd or 3rd ring, or immediately on pickup. Being able to forward a call implies there is a carrier to process that request, and if that carrier is gone, so is the ability to process or forward any calls.

This was a serious outage. It points out that the fact that Ooma still has a lot to learn about the phone business. Part of Ooma being so cheap ,apparently, is we have to tolerate a lack of redundant services on the backend. This will lead to more frequent outages, and also more severe outages. There is a reason regular land line phones never go out. They are very hardened networks, and they are expensive to build and maintain. Everything Ooma will do to increase reliability, redundancy, etc. will drive up cost.

What Ooma CAN control is communication. The support 800 number informed me there was an outage and it was being worked, but why no updates to the forum or twitter? Because in this day and age people search the internet before buying, and can see all of that history of unreliability, and so those methods of communication can hurt Ooma. Can't send an email to each Ooma customer, because someone will cut and paste it into the forum. There's pretty much nothing else they could have done to both inform and protect themselves from bad press.

I recommend Ooma a lot, but now it will come with the caveat of "Don't switch to Ooma unless you can do without your phone for a day or two each year".
#62496 by DTMF
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:46 am
The problem with routing calls around this particular outage was that the outage was with a carrier that is BETWEEN the caller's phone company and Ooma. They don't control that part of the network, because it is not their network and it is run by another company.
#62497 by DTMF
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:50 am
iamslick wrote:I recommend Ooma a lot, but now it will come with the caveat of "Don't switch to Ooma unless you can do without your phone for a day or two each year".

I've had Internet providers that delivered the level of service you describe. For the low low price that we're paying for Ooma service, IMO 1-2 days of outage out of every 365 is not unreasonable.

Nonetheless, I think the scope and ETA for a fix for this outage could have been communicated better. It was never mentioned at http://twitter.com/ooma_status
#62784 by oomg
Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:16 am
Since I am in one of those remote canyons in and around SoCal, cell phone reception at my home is not a good backup opti0n, so I have retained minimal pots (1 line) as a backup. There is no voice mail, and the ringer is usually turned off on that line. Would setting my Ooma line to multiring the pots line (as opposed to CF on network outage) work in a situation like the one experienced here?
#62796 by DTMF
Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:21 am
oomg wrote:Would setting my Ooma line to multiring the pots line (as opposed to CF on network outage) work in a situation like the one experienced here?

Not in this particular situation. This outage was at the third-party provider that delivers calls from your number to the Ooma network. Since calls weren't getting to Ooma, there was no opportunity for Ooma to deliver them anywhere. It wouldn't have mattered where we had multi-ring configured to ring this time.

This outage was unusual, since most outages in the past have been on the Ooma network. For many outages on the Ooma network or any outage at your ISP, your workaround would work.