Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#62264 by racinart
Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:46 pm
I keep seeing that I can set unique ring tones to certain incoming numbers, but I don't see how to do it anywhere.
#63685 by inkyslay
Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:07 pm
I completely agree. Cell phones are designed to create custom ring tones. However,the office phone I use does not. I too read this feature as custom incoming call ring-tone options. The latter, when you have 2 lines, being able to distinguish between them is important, but for those of us not using that feature, or forwarding one line to a cell phone, it is insignificant. I hope Ooma gives Premiere users unique ringtones on incoming calls. Verizon online had a nice set up for that. Bet they could team up with a ringtones service and even make money on downloading fancier rings.
#63697 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:52 pm
I never understood why people would pay for ringtones when you can make your own through the music you already own. Answer tone is another story. Not sure if the cell phone answer tone business model makes sense for ooma and/or anyone would even bite: charge a buck for the answer tones (good for only 1 year; this ticks me off) and another buck or two for recurring service charge.

As for making your own ringtones, Power MP3 Cutter Professional does a great job for free. The free & downloadable version lets you cut up to 30 seconds which is all you need for cell phones. Just mark the section you like and cut it; you can do fade in and fade out as well. Depending on cell phones, 30 second mp3 files would end up with an acceptable size at 80kbps bitrate (I've seen some cell phone handle 30 seconds of 128kbps).

Power MP3 Cutter Professinal.JPG
Power MP3 Cutter Professinal.JPG (28.91 KiB) Viewed 1661 times