Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#61953 by roadshow
Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:40 am
That's interesting. You might be on to something there. I wonder if I could change the hub default ip and give it a try. I'm at work now, but I will try later this evening. Thanks!
#61954 by murphy
Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:31 am
n8399 wrote:Hub default WAN IP 172.27.35.1 is on blackholes.five-ten-sg.com blacklist. ? http://www.whichvoip.com uses this blacklist? Do other Ooma Hub users connected directly to modem experience same problem visiting http://www.whichvoip.com ?

172.27.35.1 is the default LAN IP address. It is a private non-routable address.
The hub's WAN IP address is issued by whatever device is connected to it's WAN (modem) port.

A service that has blacklisted a private address doesn't know what it is doing and should be avoided.
#61962 by roadshow
Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:18 pm
Maybe I should just not even worry about it. It's the only site I have had a problem with. But my OCD tendicies make me want to figure it out. If it's truly blocked by whichvoip.com, then why can another hub/scout user get to it? Can I change my OOMA ip to a ten dot number and set my own dhcp range?
#61964 by southsound
Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:31 pm
I think you may be misunderstanding something - like murphy said, 172.27.35.1 is the default LAN IP address. In other words, it is the address that issued to the Home Network port - the IP address that is exposed to the WAN is issued by your modem. Even if 172.27.31.1 is blocked in the WAN, it never sees it. As far as changing things, it should not be a problem. I have chaged the subnet of my ooma because at one time I was running two of them and wanted to keep things simple with administration. Have you tried setting your DNS servers to OpenDNS? It's free and a lot faster than most ISP's default DNS servers. Here are the IP's: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 .
#61974 by roadshow
Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:41 pm
I guess I am confused. It appears as though you can change the OOMA default IP in setup.ooma.com. It looks like the 172 number is the default that ooma puts there. It appears as though I can edit it. (see attachment).
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.95 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
#61977 by southsound
Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:04 pm
roadshow wrote:btw, if i want to change my dns to the open dns servers, where do i do that? in the ooma settings?

I actually set it up on my notebook because both my home network and my office was giving me fits. Should be under TCPIP properties in your Network Connections of the control panel if using Windows XP. Not sure where it is in other OS.
#61990 by roadshow
Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:54 pm
I tried changing the dns everywhere. OOMA, router and PC. Still can't access the whichvoip site. Very frustrating. OOMA said they escalated my issue to third level support. I hope they find something.