Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#61859 by lvn098
Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:46 pm
I am trying to setup Linksys PAP2T for Fax and Alarm System. Ooma is working fine by itself, but I can't get the PAP2T to work, it's unlocked.

My current configuration is Cable Modem - Router - Ooma
PAP2T is also plugged into the same Router: Cable Modem - Router - PAP2T ------> Alarm
-------> Fax
Anyone has this config working, please let me know.

NOTE: I could not get dial tone from the Fax machine.

Thanks,
#61861 by southsound
Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:01 pm
Welcome to ooma and to the forum.

As of this date, ooma does not allow a "bring your own device" connection. The way ooma operates is by using their own device, either the Telo or the hub connecting to their servers. Could a PAP2T-NA connect and work? Most likely - if you had the proper SIP credentials - and I'm not sure that the calls would be covered under the same agreement as the hub and Telo. The Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch application connects just fine - but the calls are not unlimited as they are for the hub and Telo. With Premier you get 250 minutes free - additional time costs 0.019 per minute. Some day ooma may decide to offer a BYOD option but today you will have to use another VoIP provider if you want your PAP2T-NA to work. Their are several companies out their who offer very competitive rates for minimum use - I'm going to try one just to learn and play with my own PAP2T-NA. Something about having a dedicated incoming toll free line for $1 a month and .029 per minute just sounds like fun. :P

(Also note that the PAP2T comes in two varieties - unlocked like the -NA and a Vonage version that is locked and cannot be used with other vendors. I hope yours is unlocked.)
#68057 by kieranmullen
Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:48 pm
Necro thread...

I came here from searching for an answer on Google.

southsound I think you totally overlooked the fact he was looking at running both the pap2t and the ooma behind the router at the same time all for their own uses. nothing in his post would lead one to the conclusion that he was looking for sip credentials.
#68059 by southsound
Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:05 pm
kieranmullen wrote:Necro thread...

I came here from searching for an answer on Google.

southsound I think you totally overlooked the fact he was looking at running both the pap2t and the ooma behind the router at the same time all for their own uses. nothing in his post would lead one to the conclusion that he was looking for sip credentials.

Please re-read the thread again. If both devices was lvn098's intent, they would have found the answer in my reply as well. There is no reason that what you are suggesting would be a problem unless there was an IP addressing conflict. I have a Telo and use a PAP2T with another provider - and the two play quite fine together. Maybe you missed this in my reply:
southsound wrote:Some day ooma may decide to offer a BYOD option but today you will have to use another VoIP provider if you want your PAP2T-NA to work. Their are several companies out their who offer very competitive rates for minimum use - I'm going to try one just to learn and play with my own PAP2T-NA.

As far as wanting to use a PAP2T with the ooma servers, I'm waiting in line for that too. I was not being negative about his request, just answering that it was not currently something that ooma supports.
#68065 by kieranmullen
Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 pm
Nothing in the thread suggests he is looking for ooma credentials. I too have a linksys pap2t working with my ooma as well. He merely stated it was unlocked so therefore would be able to make any changes necessary.
#68070 by southsound
Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:35 pm
kieranmullen wrote:Nothing in the thread suggests he is looking for ooma credentials. I too have a linksys pap2t working with my ooma as well. He merely stated it was unlocked so therefore would be able to make any changes necessary.

OK, you just got a new ooma. And you love to ask questions. Great. I have answered several of them and have been more than polite.

If the OP had a problem with my answer, he/she had 3 months to think about it and let me know. My answer was polite, accurate, and gave a little additonal information that the OP might have been curious about.

There are only a few people I won't bother responding to on this forum. Congratulations - you have just joined that small but charming group.